DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   which DVD authoring software has nice motion menu? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/121501-dvd-authoring-software-has-nice-motion-menu.html)

Lau Chi Hang May 12th, 2008 10:08 PM

which DVD authoring software has nice motion menu?

Hi,

I have been a wedding videographer for a few years already. I have been using DVDit Pro 6 as the authoring software and like it. However, I sometimes see some very nice motion menus (some has 3D) from other wedding DVDs which also have the wedding couple's names and their pictures.
I wonder which DVD software has such function? Also, do I need to use After Effect to do such 3D motion menu? Hopefully I won't, since I don't know how to use AE.

Thanks in advance
Chi Hang

Noa Put May 13th, 2008 02:55 AM

Most menu's you see like that are usually included in the dvd program as a template or can be purchased, just google for "dvd motion menu's" and you"ll find many sites selling these templates.
After effects would be a perfect way to create great motion menu's but it has a very steep learning curve.
I know that Adobe encore has some motion menus of which I only used one till now but otherwise I mostly use an existing template and adapt it in Photoshop to my needs.

Lau Chi Hang May 16th, 2008 12:03 AM

Hi Noa, thank you for your info! I will google up and see what kind of choice that I have.

Jason Donaldson May 16th, 2008 07:16 PM

I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus to create my menus. It has great menu transitions and effects, and you can do so much with them. Not only does it have motion backgrounds, but you can chose how the menu "enters and exits" the screen. You can also add menu effects such as lens flares etc. http://www.visions-uk.com/triniti/listing_ulead.htm offers a whole bunch of effects and menu backgrounds (vid, pic and sound already in the Ulead .ufo format) for around $20.

I have used Sony DVDA, and much prefer Ulead.

Randy Johnson May 19th, 2008 04:34 AM

When you say "motion menus" do you mean moving backgrounds. If so you can use Encore 3 and get some digital juice jumpbacks. thats what I do and they work well.

K.C. Luke May 19th, 2008 06:07 AM

Motion menu is great way to present on any Opening DVD menu. Beside motion menu there is another menu call transition menu.

Lau Chi Hang May 21st, 2008 12:45 PM

Thanks people, yes, I actually meant openning menu, transition menu, and menu with motion background. I check out juice jumpbacks, and they are nice. However, they are different styles than the ones I saw. Too bad, I can't post them online since they aren't mine. They look more like custom builds and more professional in ways. I guess they really used After Effects to build their own standard menus. Maybe I need to hire a professional to do it.

Andrew Hoag May 21st, 2008 04:04 PM

I use Encore CS3...

It's really nice and you can pretty much customize your menus any way you see fit.

Jon Geddes June 16th, 2009 02:59 PM

DVD Motion Menus

DVD Motion Menus that use advanced 3D motion like you describe are often created in compositing programs such as After Effects or even full 3D applications. Unless you are using a template, they are extremely time consuming to create.

I would expect anyone who sells templates to provide complete instructions on how to customize them. If they don't, you might want to look elsewhere.

I specialize in designing motion menu template kits for video production, and I provide an After Effects project file that is ready to render (just drop in your custom video clip). You are correct that After Effects is more complex to learn than say Adobe Premiere. That is why I provide complete walkthrough video tutorials on customizing the projects from start to finish.

I also recommend using Adobe Encore for the authoring, as it provides a more streamlined workflow.

Stelios Christofides June 17th, 2009 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson (Post 878901)
I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus to create my menus. It has great menu transitions and effects, and you can do so much with them. Not only does it have motion backgrounds, but you can chose how the menu "enters and exits" the screen. You can also add menu effects such as lens flares etc. DVD Menus :Ulead Listing offers a whole bunch of effects and menu backgrounds (vid, pic and sound already in the Ulead .ufo format) for around $20.

I have used Sony DVDA, and much prefer Ulead.

Jason
I am also using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 7 and I was looking for more DVD menus. Thanks to you I got what I was looking for. I am greatlful

Stelios

Tim Kay June 22nd, 2009 02:11 AM

Wow - I'm really surprised that the consensus of the group isn't using DVD Studio Pro from Apple (gotta have a mac). Here I was thinking i'd be coping everyone else!

A bit of a learner curve and didn't make a bit of sense when I first opened it, but after some One on One classes I can kick butt with it! I use the whole Suite now(FCP, Motion, Color) so for me it's just seamless. Invaluable to have every program talk to one another.

Warren Kawamoto June 24th, 2009 02:08 AM

DVD Studio Pro used to be my favorite DVD authoring software, but no more. Why? No blu ray support. I'm using DVDit Pro HD and I'm very happy with it's motion menus which I custom make.

John Estcourt June 27th, 2009 01:45 PM

Yep Im another DVDit pro hd fan, fantastic software, rubbish customer support IMHO
I used to use dvd lab pro but again they refused to look at blu ray support.
Ive got dvd architect 5, dvdlab pro and roxio dvdit and dvdit is far superior Imo its all I use now.
motion menues are created in after effects or sony vegas

Tim Gilbertson June 29th, 2009 06:09 PM

I'm one for Final Cut Studio. I animate the menus in Motion, then build them in DVD Studio Pro.

Edward Troxel June 30th, 2009 06:58 AM

Here's the bottom line: ALL DVD Authoring programs can provide motion menus or play videos before the menu appears or have video playing on the background of a menus (which is really different than a "motion menu"). It's just a matter of getting the video to play with the graphics and text you desire and then adding it properly to the authoring program.