which DVD authoring software has nice motion menu? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #1
New Boot

which DVD authoring software has nice motion menu?

Hi,

I have been a wedding videographer for a few years already. I have been using DVDit Pro 6 as the authoring software and like it. However, I sometimes see some very nice motion menus (some has 3D) from other wedding DVDs which also have the wedding couple's names and their pictures.
I wonder which DVD software has such function? Also, do I need to use After Effect to do such 3D motion menu? Hopefully I won't, since I don't know how to use AE.

Thanks in advance
Chi Hang
Lau Chi Hang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Most menu's you see like that are usually included in the dvd program as a template or can be purchased, just google for "dvd motion menu's" and you"ll find many sites selling these templates.
After effects would be a perfect way to create great motion menu's but it has a very steep learning curve.
I know that Adobe encore has some motion menus of which I only used one till now but otherwise I mostly use an existing template and adapt it in Photoshop to my needs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Noa, thank you for your info! I will google up and see what kind of choice that I have.
Old May 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus to create my menus. It has great menu transitions and effects, and you can do so much with them. Not only does it have motion backgrounds, but you can chose how the menu "enters and exits" the screen. You can also add menu effects such as lens flares etc. http://www.visions-uk.com/triniti/listing_ulead.htm offers a whole bunch of effects and menu backgrounds (vid, pic and sound already in the Ulead .ufo format) for around $20.

I have used Sony DVDA, and much prefer Ulead.
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #5
Trustee

When you say "motion menus" do you mean moving backgrounds. If so you can use Encore 3 and get some digital juice jumpbacks. thats what I do and they work well.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Motion menu is great way to present on any Opening DVD menu. Beside motion menu there is another menu call transition menu.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:45 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks people, yes, I actually meant openning menu, transition menu, and menu with motion background. I check out juice jumpbacks, and they are nice. However, they are different styles than the ones I saw. Too bad, I can't post them online since they aren't mine. They look more like custom builds and more professional in ways. I guess they really used After Effects to build their own standard menus. Maybe I need to hire a professional to do it.
Old May 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use Encore CS3...

It's really nice and you can pretty much customize your menus any way you see fit.
Andrew Hoag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

DVD Motion Menus

DVD Motion Menus that use advanced 3D motion like you describe are often created in compositing programs such as After Effects or even full 3D applications. Unless you are using a template, they are extremely time consuming to create.

I would expect anyone who sells templates to provide complete instructions on how to customize them. If they don't, you might want to look elsewhere.

I specialize in designing motion menu template kits for video production, and I provide an After Effects project file that is ready to render (just drop in your custom video clip). You are correct that After Effects is more complex to learn than say Adobe Premiere. That is why I provide complete walkthrough video tutorials on customizing the projects from start to finish.

I also recommend using Adobe Encore for the authoring, as it provides a more streamlined workflow.
Jon Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
I use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus to create my menus. It has great menu transitions and effects, and you can do so much with them. Not only does it have motion backgrounds, but you can chose how the menu "enters and exits" the screen. You can also add menu effects such as lens flares etc. DVD Menus :Ulead Listing offers a whole bunch of effects and menu backgrounds (vid, pic and sound already in the Ulead .ufo format) for around $20.

I have used Sony DVDA, and much prefer Ulead.
Jason
I am also using Ulead DVD MovieFactory 7 and I was looking for more DVD menus. Thanks to you I got what I was looking for. I am greatlful

Stelios
Old June 22nd, 2009, 02:11 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Wow - I'm really surprised that the consensus of the group isn't using DVD Studio Pro from Apple (gotta have a mac). Here I was thinking i'd be coping everyone else!

A bit of a learner curve and didn't make a bit of sense when I first opened it, but after some One on One classes I can kick butt with it! I use the whole Suite now(FCP, Motion, Color) so for me it's just seamless. Invaluable to have every program talk to one another.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #12
Trustee

DVD Studio Pro used to be my favorite DVD authoring software, but no more. Why? No blu ray support. I'm using DVDit Pro HD and I'm very happy with it's motion menus which I custom make.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Major Player

Yep Im another DVDit pro hd fan, fantastic software, rubbish customer support IMHO
I used to use dvd lab pro but again they refused to look at blu ray support.
Ive got dvd architect 5, dvdlab pro and roxio dvdit and dvdit is far superior Imo its all I use now.
motion menues are created in after effects or sony vegas
Old June 29th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I'm one for Final Cut Studio. I animate the menus in Motion, then build them in DVD Studio Pro.
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #15
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's the bottom line: ALL DVD Authoring programs can provide motion menus or play videos before the menu appears or have video playing on the background of a menus (which is really different than a "motion menu"). It's just a matter of getting the video to play with the graphics and text you desire and then adding it properly to the authoring program.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques