Same Day Edits - What's your workflow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Same Day Edits - What's your workflow?

I'm always looking to improve in this area and was wondering if anyone else would be willing to share their same day edit workflow? I would love to glean any tips and wisdom anyone would be willing to offer.

I'm running the latest version of Final Cut Pro on a 17" macbook pro. I just purchased a pair of Canon XHA1 and a pair of HV20's and slowly migrating into the realm of HDV...and this is where I'm doing the research on the SDE's. I've been studying everyones work in this forum and love what i'm seeing. Anyone willing to share what works for them? what doesn't work? tips on equipment? playback? etc...

As we say here in Hawaii...Mahalo! (thanks!)
Joel Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Joel,

I had the interesting experience of being observed by the editor of EventDV magazine on a day I put together an SDE. His article is here:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=40098

If there is anything I can expound upon let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Campos View Post
I'm always looking to improve in this area and was wondering if anyone else would be willing to share their same day edit workflow? I would love to glean any tips and wisdom anyone would be willing to offer.

I'm running the latest version of Final Cut Pro on a 17" macbook pro. I just purchased a pair of Canon XHA1 and a pair of HV20's and slowly migrating into the realm of HDV...and this is where I'm doing the research on the SDE's. I've been studying everyones work in this forum and love what i'm seeing. Anyone willing to share what works for them? what doesn't work? tips on equipment? playback? etc...

As we say here in Hawaii...Mahalo! (thanks!)
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Major Player

Joel P

What a great article! I get tired just thinking about all you do! But the real proof is in your edit. I watched the one associated with the article and it is pure brilliance. You truly have a talent for shooting the right footage and then for cutting it together beautifully. The greatest gear in the world will never be a substitute for an artistic talent.

I don't shoot weddings, but just today I was asked to run sound for a wedding at my church. The bride asked if there was anyone I knew who could videotape the ceremony for her (!!!).

Well, I happened to have all my gear in my truck from a shoot I did a couple of days ago, so I agreed to set up a static camera for her. I was able to run a LANC line to the sound desk, so I was able to do just a few zooms for her. At the end of the ceremony I popped the tape out of the camera and handed it to her. I'm afraid that's MY version of a same day edit!
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Joel,

I had the interesting experience of being observed by the editor of EventDV magazine on a day I put together an SDE. His article is here:

http://www.eventdv.net/Articles/Read...rticleID=40098

If there is anything I can expound upon let me know.
Great article. Sounds like you run quite the circus with all of those cameras; very impressive for one guy. I run 3 with 1 assistant and even that is a challenge.

I had a question on one of your shots in the video. The shot with the flowers in focus that instantly shifts to focus on the B&G. How did you switch the focus so quickly? Manual focus, I'm assuming, but still, it seemed like an instant "pop", and I couldn't do that on my GL2's unless I was locked down on a tripod; didn't look like a tripod shot to me.
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #5
Inner Circle

"I see, neatly arranged, the five Sony VX2000s he’ll be shooting with today"

You used "5" sony's that day, Alone? I use one vx2100 during such a day and that's challenging enough for me, but 5??

I saw the picture of you setting up that high tripod with the camera on top. that must be quite a preparation for you, here I don't get any requests for sde's but for a normal wedding I never would have time to pull something off like you do.

I take it that this SDE is then only for the ceremony considering all the preparation you have to do?

Also saw the demo which I earlier missed and it really looks like a manned multicam shoot. really impressive.

Did you never have someone knock your equipment over?

Also, how do you check the image in your camera's that are set so high on a tripod?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Also, how do you check the image in your camera's that are set so high on a tripod?
If you look at the picture where he is setting up that high camera you'll see he has another camera next to him with a video cord running between them.
Old May 19th, 2008, 01:40 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
If you look at the picture where he is setting up that high camera you'll see he has another camera next to him with a video cord running between them.
Now I see, I thought it looked strange that he looked at one camera when setting up another :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Trustee

The next question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
The next question is does he have LANCs to start the recording when he gets to that camera or some other remote "start" button....

Simply amazing to do solo.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #9
Major Player

This is almost discouraging to see, I am new to video and we are busting our tails for two of us to capture a wedding, and not done near as good as he does. And SDE is not an option with us, at least now.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:11 PM   #10
New Boot

Whoa, Joel you are my new hero... I have been shooting solo weddings for a couple years now but what you are able to accomplish almost makes me embarrassed! That's a great article. And the WDE itself was beautiful. Gives me something to aspire to.
Jared Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Well don't I feel small and insignificant seeing that ONE person has done all that...

Amazing.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques