Focusing.. Auto or Manual - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 25th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #16
Trustee

How true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ralph View Post
auto is great for finding focus but always shoot in manual. You will look like a complete doofus if the camera starts hunting.

You don't need to be able to focus manually - that can be tricky on the servo lenses - just switch the AF off once the shot is composed.

With a bright background the AF can be fooled even if the subject is center frame.
I had a reception I filmed for free for a friend where my GL2 jumped a bit because the background had some vertical lines and the foreground was a toast where the lady kept moving around. I forgot and left the AF on. If AF is on you better be moving fast and need your concentration elsewhere, otherwise, use AF just to compose the shot (if needed) and go all manual the rest of the way.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #17
Major Player

manual always. i'm anal about this.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:47 AM   #18
Trustee

To all you manual-always people, how do you deal with run and gun situations? Do you get used to the look of every shot starting out of focus then coming into focus as you manually work?

Or in event work, I do a lot of tilting down or panning from one subject to another while the event is happening. I don't have time to practice the shift in focus. Do you just get used to judging distances on the fly?

I would honestly love to get some input on how people work with manual focus in these situations. When I have time to set up a shot, it's manual all the way, but when running around, I'm thinking about so much at once that it's nice to be able to use auto.

I would love to go manual all the time, because it seems to be the concensus that it's better, but man, I have a rough time when running and gunning.

Any hints?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques