One Tight SDE - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 19th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #31
Still Motion

You know, I'm a little overwhelmed by all the feedback and support we are getting with this clip. When Mike and I shot in London a couple weeks ago I think we produced the most complete and well rounded piece we have to date. I have kind of been holding back waiting for the right time to throw it up, but seeing as how this one is going over- admittedly much better than I would have imagined- I can't wait to share our clip from London shortly.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
I use both the on camera LCD and the one at the bottom of the rig for flying indoors and out, it all depends on the shot and the terrain.
Right, but do you have a hood on your on-camera LCD? Outside in full sunlight I have a hard time seeing much on the LCD, and have been considering a hood like from Hoodman. Just wondering if you use a hood and if it causes any complications with balance on your rig. Thanks.

Quote:
There is a common debate on these forums about the overuse of glidecam/steadicam type products, and I am sure we have been guilty of that in the past, but from our clients point of view, we only hear wonderful things about that aspect of our work in particular.
I've never felt that you guys used to many stabilized shots. I think it's all in the editing and the variety of shots. Videos where it seemed like too much stablizer shots is where the edit just has those shots over and over and over. You guys tend to edit plenty of static and handheld shots in with the stablized shots, so stays interesting and dynamic. You also get a variety of stablized shots, and don't just repeat the same type of "fly by" shots over and over. I think that's a big help too. Just my opinions ... d;-)
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Fabulous Work

I am new to posting at DVi, but have been lurking for very long time. It has always been learning experience here. Especially this video is fabulous with color and technique used. Keep up the good work Patrick.

Ramesh
Ramesh Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #34
Major Player

What a wonderfull clip. I noticed that on this particular clip there isnt as much post colouring compared to your non SDE highlights and it still looks awesome, can't wait for the London couple.

Quote:
Travis,

I used a full Steadicam rig (the flyer). I couldn't get the smoothness or the same length in my shots with a merlin. Mike is more of the Merlin expert but even he finds they are better for shorter shots.

Patrick
I was wondering with the Merlin are you refering to one with a Vest or just hand held? and how much difference is there with and without the vest as far as the final results of the shots?
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #35
Still Motion

Travis,

I do use the hoodman LCD shade on occasion, depending on time of day and where I am shooting. It is a simple adjustment to the rig. The great things about a larger rig is that it is easy to add extras like that and adjust for it in seconds.

I hear what your saying about variety and pacing, and I agree, but I think here is also a mindset change when you start trying to be equally creative with static shots (ie church lights coming on, rings shots, the shoe shot) as we are with steadicam shots when there was a point where we left the bulk of the creative to just the moving shots.

Jason's work, above anything else, really pushes us to get more out of our non-stabilized shooting. I find that he can put together a full piece with very little glidecam type shots and yet it always seems to have lots of story and the stylized approach that we also take.

Patrick
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #36
Still Motion

Ramesh,

Thanks for checking out our clip.

Peter,

There was quite a bit of color work on this one but the look we went for was a little bit more realistic and less moody like some of the strong red or blue tints we can do. A regular highlights gives me time to think more about the color in different sequences and tie that to the story, but an SDE gives you much less room.

We use the merlin or glidecam handheld, no vest or arm. The only rig with a vest is the full steadicam flyer.

Patrick
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Travis,

I do use the hoodman LCD shade on occasion, depending on time of day and where I am shooting. It is a simple adjustment to the rig. The great things about a larger rig is that it is easy to add extras like that and adjust for it in seconds.

I hear what your saying about variety and pacing, and I agree, but I think here is also a mindset change when you start trying to be equally creative with static shots (ie church lights coming on, rings shots, the shoe shot) as we are with steadicam shots when there was a point where we left the bulk of the creative to just the moving shots.

Jason's work, above anything else, really pushes us to get more out of our non-stabilized shooting. I find that he can put together a full piece with very little glidecam type shots and yet it always seems to have lots of story and the stylized approach that we also take.

Patrick
So there is a disadvantage to using the LCD hood then, since you don't use it all the time outdoors? I'm assuming it limits your angle of view of the LCD and that's why you don't just use it all the time. Correct, or are there other disadvantages as well?

I've always tried to get creative static shots because I didn't have a stabilizer and my handheld "motion" shots were hit and miss on usability. You and Jason and several others on here have definitely opened my creative mind to try out shots even if I don't think they'll work. For that, I thank all of you.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
But, you seemed pretty young when we got together, so I'm not sure when all this 'you young'uns' stuff is coming from. I'm sure you can still boogey when you try.
Heh heh. I have no excuses. I'm actually the same age as JMag. But we're older than we look! Probably got about 8-9 years on ya.

I broke a sweat and got winded watching the flying shots. Time to get some cardio!

Glad you're doing great work back in my home state. When I talk to my folks (in jackson), they're always telling me how the videographers don't get paid jack-squat at the weddings they attend.

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #39
Regular Crew

at 2:43, looks like the little boys were more interested in the guy with the stedicam than watching the bride walk down the aisle. future shooters for still-motion, perhaps?

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:09 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones View Post
Heh heh. I have no excuses. I'm actually the same age as JMag. But we're older than we look! Probably got about 8-9 years on ya.
Speak for yourself Mr. Jones! ROFL!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:37 AM   #41
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
So there is a disadvantage to using the LCD hood then, since you don't use it all the time outdoors? I'm assuming it limits your angle of view of the LCD and that's why you don't just use it all the time. Correct, or are there other disadvantages as well?

I've always tried to get creative static shots because I didn't have a stabilizer and my handheld "motion" shots were hit and miss on usability. You and Jason and several others on here have definitely opened my creative mind to try out shots even if I don't think they'll work. For that, I thank all of you.
Travis,

The real disadvantage is having to find the hood, put it on, and rebalance. I like to keep my rig the same as much as possible, so I only add things on when really needed. Certain days Mike will put the hood on and shoot with it all day (usually when we have an outdoor ceremony).

I find it takes a lot of practice to getting solid artistic shots without a stabilizer and it can be more hit and miss, but one you start getting the technique down it is really all up to your mind to come up with the ideas.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:40 AM   #42
Still Motion

When I spoke with some of the vendors in Tupelo, they didn't seem to have any clue what we were doing in terms of an SDE or a steadicam, and the fact we go flown in from Canada really confused a lot of people.

I noticed that little kid looking at the steadicam there. To be honest, I'm surprised there aren't more shots of the groom doing that as he was totally in love with the rig and I often ruined a good photo as he was watching what I was doing and asking me how it was done when he should be paying attention to his new wife. At least it always seems to be a big hit when it is distracting.

Patrick
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:24 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Travis,

The real disadvantage is having to find the hood, put it on, and rebalance. I like to keep my rig the same as much as possible, so I only add things on when really needed. Certain days Mike will put the hood on and shoot with it all day (usually when we have an outdoor ceremony).

I find it takes a lot of practice to getting solid artistic shots without a stabilizer and it can be more hit and miss, but one you start getting the technique down it is really all up to your mind to come up with the ideas.
Good to know. We work a lot outdoors, so I'll probably still need to get a hood and for some weddings I'll just use it all day so I don't have to rebalance.

I've shot without a stabilizer for 5 or 6 years now, so I'm pretty adept with handheld. It's just there are some types of shots that you really need a stabilizer for, and those are the shots I'm hit and miss on when I try them handheld. I can't wait to get better with the Merlin.

As always, thanks for taking the time to answer questions; much appreciated.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:14 AM   #44
Major Player

Nice work Patrick.

I'm going to guess based on some of the footage that it is the EX1 on the steadicam?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:21 AM   #45
Trustee

You beat me to it Matt.
Patrick I was going to ask if you have changed cameras as the footage looks like the EX1?

Cheers
Simon
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques