best iRiver replacement audio recorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 27th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Omiatek View Post
Buy an iRiver on eBay.
I have two already. My point is, with the price they are going for on Ebay at the moment, I was hoping to be able to find something more professional, small, easy to use, reliable, etc, etc. The Olypus units look interesting, but I don't like the limited ability to set levels...
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #17
Major Player

We use Edirol R9 and love it. No problems at all. We are purchasing another. I think the price is about $370.00 to $400.00.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I have two already. My point is, with the price they are going for on Ebay at the moment, I was hoping to be able to find something more professional, small, easy to use, reliable, etc, etc. The Olypus units look interesting, but I don't like the limited ability to set levels...
I've used 2 Olympus DS-30's for over a year now and I haven't experienced any clipping in the audio. I love them. I also have NEVER had a dropout or any kind of interference. The audio quality is awesome.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I've used 2 Olympus DS-30's for over a year now and I haven't experienced any clipping in the audio. I love them. I also have NEVER had a dropout or any kind of interference. The audio quality is awesome.
Travis,

What lavs do you use with DS-30? I am planninng to get a Giant Squid mono lav for my WS-310M, but did you (or anyone else) have a chance to compare recommended by Olympus their ME-15 with Giant Squid or any other lav, e.g. Sennheiser ME-2?..
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I'm just using the mics that came with my Azden VHF wireless system. I got all sorts of interference with that system, and wasn't sure if it was the system or the mics. After using the mics extensively with the DS-30's (and before that with an earlier version of Olympus DVR's) I now know it's not the mics.
Old May 28th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #21
New Boot

Hi Vito, depending on the cut of the jacket you can either pop it in a pocket or use the pouch on his pants or belt, much like using a wireless bodypack.

I really like the H2. The backlit menu system is very easy to use. With the on-board mics you can record in 4 channel 5.1 Surround Sound. I use it this way to record extra sound clips to use in the edit. It uses the same SD cards as my Nikon.

I saw Andy and Jim at the Old Port.Finally wrapped things up after 17 hrs and 100Km. You gotta love those Montreal weddings!

Travis, I too had the problem with my Azden VHF wireless system and now only use the hand-held for close-up work.
Andrew McWeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:56 AM   #22
Trustee

That's great info you guys. Thanks a lot.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The DS40 looks interesting, and a reasonable price...

I currently have 4 iRiver 8XXs that have done me proud (even though one of the screens is on its way out but I never change the settings so as a back up it is still fine.)

A question, I also have 4 Giant Squid mics that require a powered line in (god bless the iRiver!). Will they work with the DS40?
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Baker View Post
A question, I also have 4 Giant Squid mics that require a powered line in (god bless the iRiver!). Will they work with the DS40?
Vince, did you buy the special rewired GS mics for your iRivers? I have two like that, and they do not seem to work on a consumer camcorder. My old sony has a mic input with 'plug-in-power' and I get nothing with the mono Giant Squid. I don't know if its the rewiring, or the fact that it's mono...
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Hi Vito,

I use the Olympus along with a lav mic and it works great. You remove the microphone that comes with it and you have access to the 1/8" connection for your mic. The three levels of recording is quite useful, i use the DICT setting when its on a person, the CONF when its on the podium so it picks up a lot more of the vocals.

I had it for a month now, done a few gigs with it and no issues thus far.

We should definitely meet up some time... after paying a little bit more attention to your website, i think i recognize you from a Canon event i was at last fall. CPSExpo, did you attend a such event?
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
after paying a little bit more attention to your website, i think i recognize you from a Canon event i was at last fall. CPSExpo, did you attend a such event?
Yep. I was there all right. Took the chance to see a couple of seminars and meet Patrick Moreau from Niagra Falls. Very nice guy. I enjoyed chatting with him and picking his brain a bit.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:41 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Vince, did you buy the special rewired GS mics for your iRivers? I have two like that, and they do not seem to work on a consumer camcorder. My old sony has a mic input with 'plug-in-power' and I get nothing with the mono Giant Squid. I don't know if its the rewiring, or the fact that it's mono...
Vito, its the wiring. I've just had all sorts of hassles getting recording on an iRiver to work from a Rode NTG2. I don't understand it all but the wiring for the iRivers is apparently the reverse of the standard. With the help of sound guy I finally got it to work.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I don't understand it all but the wiring for the iRivers is apparently the reverse of the standard.
Yeah, Darren explains it on the Giant Squid website. That's why he offers a special mic for the iRivers.
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post

I use the Olympus along with a lav mic and it works great.
Carl,

What lav do you use? Is it Olympus ME-15 or any other?..
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #30
Regular Crew

yes my mics are specific for the iRiver, so guess after the previous few postings that means they will not work with the Olympus...

Still a viable option once my iRivers start to die....
Vince Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques