Confused About SDE's?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 27th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Confused About SDE's??

Do the guys producing same day edits ONLY do an SDE or do they also deliver a full length video after the wedding? I can't undestand how you can do an SDE if you're shooting footage for a full video.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #2
Major Player

hiya Tony, hope you're well

people that make SDE's are the same as you or I, they deliver full wedding edits, highlights etc too. it's just they quickly capture and edit the best clips from the ceremony, before the evening, and then show it spliced together with a song over the top, to show everyone before they head off home.

if you get it right, and get the right procedures all in a short time, it's not as stressful as it sounds :) and no, you don't even need to wait around for rendering, there are ways round this ('capture to tape' to then play through a projector etc)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Most SDE's ive seen are pretty basic edits anyway, little to no effects or post colour correction. At the moment were doing too much correction in post so this requires a render but once we get our capturing down we could do a much quicker edit.

I think you also need to get handy with the marker button on your camera. See something you think you want in the edit, hit that button and mark it so when you capture you can find it easier. Or make a note of the timecode. Then capture throughout the day, otherwise wait till the meal and you have hours upon hours of footage from your various cameras to play with.
Danny O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I wouldn't even THINK about doing SDE's yet...that just seems like way too much pressure. I don't offer it currently, and will only do so when/if I get bigger in the business.
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
hiya Tony, hope you're well

people that make SDE's are the same as you or I, they deliver full wedding edits, highlights etc too. it's just they quickly capture and edit the best clips from the ceremony, before the evening, and then show it spliced together with a song over the top, to show everyone before they head off home.

if you get it right, and get the right procedures all in a short time, it's not as stressful as it sounds :) and no, you don't even need to wait around for rendering, there are ways round this ('capture to tape' to then play through a projector etc)

Hey Richard, we're well thanks and very busy! Hope you are too..

I get stressed enough on a wedding day without having to do an SDE! We even have difficulty finding time to set up our video diary room so I wouldn't entertain the idea of doing an SDE. Is anyone in the UK doing them?
Old May 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm curious to know those of you who are offering SDEs.. Do you always work with another person? Sort of as safety net incase if you are caught unfinished with the SDE when the event starts?

I shoot exclusively by myself. I generally use the downtime between ceremony and reception to relax my body.. I can't imagine reviewing and digitizing all that footage and edit it down before cocktail hour...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #7
Trustee

I've never done one myself, but it seems to me that the guys who are doing it the best (all those crazy guys from the Philippines) have a dedicated person running around shooting specifically for the SDE, with a pretty good idea of what he or she wants to get to make it happen. They may pull some shots from other cameras when needed.

At least that's what I gather from reading their posts. Is this correct? I'm sure there's more than one way to skin this cat.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

When the bulk of my video work was weddings (up until 5 years ago), I always offered the option to have a same-day-edit playing at the reception, etc. In some cases (too little time between too many events) I had to have another editor working on the SDE. In some cases (remote locations) the SDE was not an option. I rarely captured footage from more than one camera for the SDE. I almost always "printed to tape" using short-run VHS, etc and played back on a repeatable VCR, etc.

Remote locations shouldn't be a show-stopper anymore with today's powerful portable desktop systems or an extremely good laptop.

If you keep your SDE to 5-10 minutes or so and don't try to wow with effects, rendering time should not be a big deal. This can be as simple as editing out the worst shots; With the right hardware/software, slapping this on a repeating DVD should be no problem either.

Here's one workflow I've considered for making SDEs in HD. Obviously this comes with a few assumptions built in:

1) Shooting to P2 cards.
2) Use Raylight (Windows) to edit in Premiere or Vegas
3) Use Raylight to throw the entire SDE back onto a P2 card.
4) Playback from a second/backup camera or other P2 playing device (make sure the venue has good security or lock down your playback device)

Just a (un-tested) thought. ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques