DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   LitePanels Micro Update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/122547-litepanels-micro-update.html)

Andrew McWeeny May 28th, 2008 07:14 AM

LitePanels Micro Update

I used my LP Micro at a wedding on Saturday. The VX2000 is excellent in low light situations and with the diffuser and 1/4 warm filters I only had to use it at half power to get a nice glow. With the Canon WD58 wide-angle lense there was a soft hot spot at the wide end. A slight zoom fixed this. I used 2650maH rechargables and had no change in brightness after 2hrs.

I'm impressed!

Peter Manojlovic May 28th, 2008 07:45 AM

Yeah, i've been wondering about these....
I'm currently using NRG beltpacks to power my 30watt light source...The cord is a big PIA...

A huge hassle, especially when you go to tripod..

I'm waiting to see more feedback on these lights...

Don Bloom May 28th, 2008 09:34 AM

I've been using one since they came out and love it. Search for some of my post's about it. I've got a freeze frame posted.
Yeah there's a little drop off on the edges with a WA lens attachment on my 170 but I can live with it.
No more battery belts and no more hot light on the camera.

Don

Nick Avdienko May 28th, 2008 10:05 AM

I just ordered mine and will be using it this weekend. Can't wait!

Zach Stewart May 28th, 2008 11:36 AM

Andrew - can you post a sample or a frame so we can see the results. I've been renting a LitePanel Mini and want to see how well the Micro would work out instead but no one rents one around here. much appreciated.

Andrew McWeeny May 30th, 2008 07:24 AM

Wish I could Zach but I was shooting for a studio and don't have the rights.

Zach Stewart May 30th, 2008 07:45 AM

bummer...thanks anyways

Don Bloom May 30th, 2008 01:16 PM

here's one. about 8 to 10 feet away WA lens attachment on PD170-1/60th@f/1.6 0 gain, lite is a little bit under full power with the diffusion filter and 1/4 warm on it.

Don

Dawn Brennan May 30th, 2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 885836)
here's one. about 8 to 10 feet away WA lens attachment on PD170-1/60th@f/1.6 0 gain, lite is a little bit under full power with the diffusion filter and 1/4 warm on it.

Don

Just ordered one today... hoping to try it next week. It seems great and hopefully it'll work for my purposes. Being a female in the business, I am just tired of lugging around the 15lb battery pack. That pic looks good though and I'm hoping this is my soltion! Thanks for sharing!

Travis Cossel June 2nd, 2008 01:38 AM

I shot my 2nd wedding this weekend with the Micro. I love not having a battery pack and love that the light doesn't get hot.

However, I nearly lost my diffusion filer during the preps. It just fell out at some point. I know you can rig the filter holder with tape, but for a $300 light it should have a better design. One of my batteries also won't stay in its slot, but closing the battery door locks it in place. Again, for a $300 light the construction is not that impressive. I also found that adjust the angle on the light was a bit of a pain, and I felt like I had to be very careful so as to not break the light off. Once again ... $300 light.

As for the light's performance. It seemed to work pretty well. I found it to work best when the subject was within 5 feet. Beyond 5 feet the difference that the light made didn't seem to be all that much.

I did also notice that turning the dimming/on/off knob does nothing for the first 25% or so of the turn, then I get low to full light in the middle 50%, and the final 25% of the knob turn again does nothing. Is this normal???

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the light. I'm conflicted only by the fact that it costs $300 but feels like a light that should cost $150 or maybe less. I'm quite concerned that something is going to break before I get my $300 of use out of it.

Don Bloom June 2nd, 2008 05:22 AM

BTW, I my camera rooled off a bench the past weekend with the LP on it. OH OH NO!!!! I don't have a clue as to why it happend BUT I will say that the camera was fine and 2) so was the lite. No damage-nothing wrong at all. It took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

Now I don't recommend doing this at all an granted while it was the luck of the Irish (which I'm not but...) that kept me from having a major problem it did prove to me that the light is tougher than many think.

I think the LED technology plus the LP name will keep the price pretty much where it is.

Enjoy the light!

Don

Nick Avdienko June 2nd, 2008 09:16 AM

I used mine this weekend and I was happy with the results. I flipped it on only twice - during the bouquet toss and the couple getting into the limo at the end of the reception. Glad I bought it.

Jonathan Bufkin June 2nd, 2008 03:16 PM

I likes....

I have used mine for two wedding in the last 2 weeks and it certainly fits my needs. I shoot it with an XH A1 and an Hv30 and it works best with my A1. I say this because in darker receptions the Hv30 would probably benefit from a stronger light. I will probably purchase another at some point so that I can use 2 of them simultaneously. This might do the trick for the Hv30. I am swamped but will try to post a pic.