LitePanels Micro Update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 28th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #1
New Boot

LitePanels Micro Update

I used my LP Micro at a wedding on Saturday. The VX2000 is excellent in low light situations and with the diffuser and 1/4 warm filters I only had to use it at half power to get a nice glow. With the Canon WD58 wide-angle lense there was a soft hot spot at the wide end. A slight zoom fixed this. I used 2650maH rechargables and had no change in brightness after 2hrs.

I'm impressed!
Andrew McWeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Yeah, i've been wondering about these....
I'm currently using NRG beltpacks to power my 30watt light source...The cord is a big PIA...

A huge hassle, especially when you go to tripod..

I'm waiting to see more feedback on these lights...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've been using one since they came out and love it. Search for some of my post's about it. I've got a freeze frame posted.
Yeah there's a little drop off on the edges with a WA lens attachment on my 170 but I can live with it.
No more battery belts and no more hot light on the camera.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I just ordered mine and will be using it this weekend. Can't wait!
Nick Avdienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Andrew - can you post a sample or a frame so we can see the results. I've been renting a LitePanel Mini and want to see how well the Micro would work out instead but no one rents one around here. much appreciated.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:24 AM   #6
New Boot

Wish I could Zach but I was shooting for a studio and don't have the rights.
Andrew McWeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

bummer...thanks anyways
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

here's one. about 8 to 10 feet away WA lens attachment on PD170-1/60th@f/1.6 0 gain, lite is a little bit under full power with the diffusion filter and 1/4 warm on it.

Don

Last edited by Don Bloom; August 26th, 2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
here's one. about 8 to 10 feet away WA lens attachment on PD170-1/60th@f/1.6 0 gain, lite is a little bit under full power with the diffusion filter and 1/4 warm on it.

Don
Just ordered one today... hoping to try it next week. It seems great and hopefully it'll work for my purposes. Being a female in the business, I am just tired of lugging around the 15lb battery pack. That pic looks good though and I'm hoping this is my soltion! Thanks for sharing!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I shot my 2nd wedding this weekend with the Micro. I love not having a battery pack and love that the light doesn't get hot.

However, I nearly lost my diffusion filer during the preps. It just fell out at some point. I know you can rig the filter holder with tape, but for a $300 light it should have a better design. One of my batteries also won't stay in its slot, but closing the battery door locks it in place. Again, for a $300 light the construction is not that impressive. I also found that adjust the angle on the light was a bit of a pain, and I felt like I had to be very careful so as to not break the light off. Once again ... $300 light.

As for the light's performance. It seemed to work pretty well. I found it to work best when the subject was within 5 feet. Beyond 5 feet the difference that the light made didn't seem to be all that much.

I did also notice that turning the dimming/on/off knob does nothing for the first 25% or so of the turn, then I get low to full light in the middle 50%, and the final 25% of the knob turn again does nothing. Is this normal???

Overall, I'm fairly happy with the light. I'm conflicted only by the fact that it costs $300 but feels like a light that should cost $150 or maybe less. I'm quite concerned that something is going to break before I get my $300 of use out of it.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Inner Circle

BTW, I my camera rooled off a bench the past weekend with the LP on it. OH OH NO!!!! I don't have a clue as to why it happend BUT I will say that the camera was fine and 2) so was the lite. No damage-nothing wrong at all. It took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

Now I don't recommend doing this at all an granted while it was the luck of the Irish (which I'm not but...) that kept me from having a major problem it did prove to me that the light is tougher than many think.

I think the LED technology plus the LP name will keep the price pretty much where it is.

Enjoy the light!

Don
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I used mine this weekend and I was happy with the results. I flipped it on only twice - during the bouquet toss and the couple getting into the limo at the end of the reception. Glad I bought it.
Nick Avdienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM   #13
Major Player

I likes....

I have used mine for two wedding in the last 2 weeks and it certainly fits my needs. I shoot it with an XH A1 and an Hv30 and it works best with my A1. I say this because in darker receptions the Hv30 would probably benefit from a stronger light. I will probably purchase another at some point so that I can use 2 of them simultaneously. This might do the trick for the Hv30. I am swamped but will try to post a pic.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques