Location, location, location! :) not about real estate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Location, location, location! :) not about real estate

What a difference a cool location makes.
I've shot this engagement clip with a couple one day for many hours, doing stuff in between (like barbecue). Not only I was drained after a wedding day before and First Communion shoot in the morning same day, but also the locations didn't quite open my imagination. I revised the footage few days later and realized that it's not enough for a good clip, even though we've been in about 5 different places. To some extent it was that I was tired.
With few shots in my head I got them to shoot some more for an hour. We went for a drive, found really cool barn and the whole idea about the clip changed. In an hour I got so many shots, that I almost decided not to use any of the footage from the previous shoot. I did eventually, but it's only 25% of the clip.

This time I tried to use less of the crazy glidecam shots and maintain balance.
Any comments welcomed.

http://www.vimeo.com/1102061
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

HEY! That's pretty great! I'll bet they love it. I wouldn't change a thing! I wish I knew about your engagement music video services before I got married last year!

It's beautiful!!
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Looked great. The color in the warehouse was great. The movement was great, a little fast at times but you sure had great control with your motion.

More static shots throughout would probably help slow the pace down just a tad!

Nice work!
Ryan Whitefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Fantastic video, really. Awesome locations, awesome shot composition, awesome editing .. and great coloring to boot. Outstanding work. You should be very proud and I'm sure the couple will absolutely love it.

The only shot that really didn't fit for me was the shot of them at what I think was an office. It just didn't seem to fit with everything else, and it seemed to be the only shot at that location, which made it feel even more out of place.

Aside from that, though, everything else was just awesome.

What stabilizer are you using?
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Konrad, one thing I'd improve is a performance of the couple, emotionally they are pretty similar thru the clip, there is little of their emotions projected, imo,

I really enjoyed it, the locations, the camera moves were really nice! The colors were on magenta side, that is a matter of taste,

What was the name of the singer/song?
Which camera you use?

Thank you. Great work!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Yes! Who is that and how can we get a copy of the song? It's a perfect track for a fast-paced wedding video.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Major Player

That ROCKS!! I LOVE the tire rolling and the plying footsie parts! Great video!!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Which camera you use?
Ahh, the power of iTunes and YouTube.

"Made to Love" - tobyMac
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey!

Sorry for the delay. And I see that you figured it out - the song I mean. It's cool, isn't it?

Thanks Oleg. It was hard and I was "working" on that couple a lot! They're super nice, but you know, sometimes you have to squeeze it from them and at the same tome try to not have them on the cheesy side. And it was going that way a lot :)
I'm using Canon XH A1.

Travis, I'm totally with you on that one. But imagine this:
It's 11PM. We're done for a day. We still have about half an hour drive home from downtown Toronto, and the groom-to-be tells me about his cool office. I jump up and say that we should try it. Technically we shouldn't be there so late and the office is locked. But he has a code. BTW he wasn't sure if he remembered it correctly - extra stress. Last thing I wanted was for the alarm to go off with me fully armed with glidecam with a vest.
We go in. Not bad. Some nice footage there.
But after shooting in the barn it just didn't compare.
The thing is though that I had to use something from that location, just for the sake of it. I didn't want them to feel that we waisted time there. Plus it has connection to them and some guests, who attended a wedding.
I guess now you understand me.

I was using glidecam 4000 handheld for most of the flying shots. The whole barn is handheld too. I used the vest for the night footage in the city. Maybe 4 shots at the most with the vest.

Oh, I already showed it last Saturday on a wedding and yes - they loved it.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Cooper View Post
HEY! That's pretty great! I'll bet they love it. I wouldn't change a thing! I wish I knew about your engagement music video services before I got married last year!

It's beautiful!!
You can always do anniversary clip :)
I bet you nobody has one done this way lol
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad Czystowski View Post
Travis, I'm totally with you on that one. But imagine this:
It's 11PM. We're done for a day. We still have about half an hour drive home from downtown Toronto, and the groom-to-be tells me about his cool office. I jump up and say that we should try it. Technically we shouldn't be there so late and the office is locked. But he has a code. BTW he wasn't sure if he remembered it correctly - extra stress. Last thing I wanted was for the alarm to go off with me fully armed with glidecam with a vest.
We go in. Not bad. Some nice footage there.
But after shooting in the barn it just didn't compare.
The thing is though that I had to use something from that location, just for the sake of it. I didn't want them to feel that we waisted time there. Plus it has connection to them and some guests, who attended a wedding.
I guess now you understand me.
That does make for a tough decision. I generally leave out anything that I don't think works, but there are those times where there are other reasons to keep a shot in, and you just have to do it. Thanks for the explanation!
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Major Player

Konrad,

that was intensely awesome!!!

Loved the camera work and the color. Must have been a tiring shoot but rest assured, every ounce of energy and talent you put on that project shone through.

Thanks for sharing!
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Jason

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm a big fun of yours.
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques