Covering a Reception Slideshow? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Covering a Reception Slideshow?

I'm just curious how the rest of you cover a slideshow at a reception. Like when the B&G have put together a slideshow of their childhood pictures and they show it at the reception.

Do you just catch shots of people reacting to the pictures?

Do you compose shots that show people AND the slideshow?

Do you film the whole slideshow?

I've done it a number of ways and it just never feels quite right afterwards.
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Travis,
I usually ask for the file and use a program to turn it into a movie to be put into the film. I find when you film the screen it just looks bad. I will tell the b&G that it won't be in the film if I can't have the file though.
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Major Player

Normally I will film the reaction of the B&G, family and friends, then ask B&G send over the slide show afterward. In post-production, put those two together, slide show as the main video and reaction as cut away. For some special reaction, I will do a overlay with 50% opacity.

So...

Do you just catch shots of people reacting to the pictures?

Yes, mostly

Do you compose shots that show people AND the slideshow?

Never did that before, but it should be nice to do a 5-10 sec shot at the beginning, then move to reaction shot.

Do you film the whole slideshow?

No, the quality usually bad.

my 2c~~~~
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:32 PM   #4
New Boot

I normally video a little bit of the slide show, lets say 10 seconds then a clip of the B&G then another clip of the show then one more of the B&G and dislove back and fourth. This is just to show what happened at what time of the reception thats all. All of there final dvd sets will include the slide show as the begining of the dvd anyway.
Mark Pickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2008, 04:42 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for the responses. I haven't ever asked for the file because it's always been my goal to only show a portion of the slide show part of the night. My reasoning is that these slideshows are usually anywhere from 5-15 minutes long, and I already have plenty of actual footage to put on the finished DVD without putting on the slideshow that the couple created and already has on their own DVD. Heck, I'm usually struggling to find room for my own stuff as it is.

Maybe what I should start doing is asking the couple if they want their entire slideshow on the DVD or not. Some of them might, some of them might not. At least then I'd have a better idea what to shoot when the slideshow is playing.

Thanks again for the responses guys.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I've normally treated it as though it never happened. We gather some footage of the crowd and BG reacting to it but I've never actually used that footage. It never seems to flow in with everything else. Haven't had any complaints yet...
(keeping fingers crossed)
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck View Post
I've normally treated it as though it never happened. We gather some footage of the crowd and BG reacting to it but I've never actually used that footage. It never seems to flow in with everything else. Haven't had any complaints yet...
(keeping fingers crossed)
This has been the case for us... shot it (mainly reaction) then never used it. Even for the love story that we showed, I shot the reaction of the crowed, but I really couldn't find a use for it. Haven't had a complaint, but I guess I should keep shooting for that one instance that we do!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Last year I had a wedding where 3 of the structured dances had slideshows playing in the background. I was given the disc and asked to include them in the video. Since they were homemade and very badly done, I chose to fade back and forth between the video and the dance. I thought it looked really good. The B&G were very unhappy. They said they loved the video overall, but were quite upset that I edited the slideshows.
I left the video the way it was, but burned more DVD's with the slideshow simply tacked on to the end.

I've never done the audience response yet, but I think I will try it now.
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Although I have filmed the entire slideshow a few times in the past, I've never presented it that way on the DVD, and never had any complaints. But I know that day could easily come, just like it did for Mark. I think the best thing to do is probably ask the couple what they would prefer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques