Elevator Music at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 11th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Elevator Music

I'm screeeewed!! I just received a 2 disc set from the groom of hand picked music he insists I use for his highlight reels. I sh!t you not....It's real honest-to-God ELEVATOR MUSIC!!!!

He was not impressed with any of my suggestions; Corrine Bailey Rae, Michelle Featherstone, Mat Kearney, Pearl Harbor etc, etc, you know, the good stuff you see on this site by some of the masters of wedding video's.

Any suggestions on how to handle this issue?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

One more thing...we're not talking about hip upbeat stuff here....this is "old school" elevator music you can almost fall asleep to if you were in an elevator longer than going up 3 floors!!!

It might cause one to blow their brains out if you listened to this stuff longer than 2 minutes.
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Major Player

As a 100 time veteran of Lonestars Amazed, I think I could handle anything now!
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
As a 100 time veteran of Lonestars Amazed, I think I could handle anything now!
I feel your pain..I think that is the only song these brides in Houston know.
Old June 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
Major Player

alastair...oh jeez, i share your pain too...

tom: when you say elevator music, any indication of artists? it might give us a better feel of what you might have to slog through :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

40's through 80's stuff...mixed bag of orchestrated remakes from Sinatra, and that chick that did the song "Fever", some remakes of Temptaions, Beach boys, some country(if you can even imagine that) and some other crap I've never heard of.

Wait a minute...........................I'm having a stroke.

OK, I'm back now. This is that full violin section/piano type stuff. I swear, I would rather have someone scratch their fingernails on a chalk board than listen to this.

I'm thinking about send the CD's to the military so they can use it to interogate some terrorists.
Old June 11th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Major Player

"The customer is always right" Pffft.
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I used to let the customers pick the music. I told this guy and his mom and fiance' I don't do that any more. (Their music usually never works, especially here in cowtown).

He must have not been listening when we were all at the cafe discussing the finer details of the big day.

I'm thinking of going ahead and doing it my way and hope I don't have to do a re-edit.

I just hate to waste such beautiful jaw-dropping venues on stupid elevator music. Someone posted on another thread about how music makes the video...no truer words have been spoken.
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Murphy View Post
"The customer is always right" Pffft.
All joking aside, Dennis is correct.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #10
Major Player

So it won't be a part of your demo reel... so what?

We all know that the customer is seldom right, but the customer is always THE CUSTOMER! No one will make you watch it ever again after you deliever it, and you can choose to not put your logo or company ID on it if you feel strongly enough that it does not represent your level of work.

On a few occasions, when I've had opportunity, I've done 2 cuts, one with their music choice and one with mine. Only once did they choose to go with their original choice. Often people don't have sufficient scope of imagination to understand that music is perceived completely differently when put to images.

I feel I have an obligation as a professional to make recommendations which I believe will make for a better production, but at the end of the day, I am not the one writing the check! If they choose the "bad" music when offered "good" music then at least they have made an informed decision. Remember that musical taste is entirely subjective.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #11
Inner Circle

If a couple insists on providing me with music, no matter how much I don't like it, I will use it. That's not to say I won't council them and explain things from an editing standpoint, but if they still want the music then guess what ... it's their wedding video. Unless of course it's something you literally just can't edit to.

If I were you I wouldn't edit their video to something else with the hopes you won't have to re-edit, because you probably will, and that's a huge waste of time and energy.
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM   #12
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Suggestions?...I think Frank's idea is the best...two edits, deliver both, let the customer choose one.

Because when all is said and done, the customer writes the checks that pay the bills...
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Holland View Post
Suggestions?...I think Frank's idea is the best...two edits, deliver both, let the customer choose one.

Because when all is said and done, the customer writes the checks that pay the bills...
There's only one problem with this. Tom is running a business, and he hasn't been paid for two different edits. So from a purely creative viewpoint this is a great idea, but from a business viewpoint it's a terrible idea.

I would say do your own edit only if you were pretty sure you could sell the client on it. Otherwise, do it as they requested and just get it done and move on to the next project.

Just my opinion.
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:05 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
There's only one problem with this. Tom is running a business, and he hasn't been paid for two different edits. So from a purely creative viewpoint this is a great idea, but from a business viewpoint it's a terrible idea.

I would say do your own edit only if you were pretty sure you could sell the client on it. Otherwise, do it as they requested and just get it done and move on to the next project.

Just my opinion.
I Had the same dylema with my first wedding edit (working on it now). I thought I will impose my will with the choosing but then change my mind. I don't want them listening to something they don't like or even hate..and that's important to me. They need to be happy with it.....its theirs..I will definetly use my choice when I use the footage for may demo.
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Travis is right...somewhat...hard to get 'er done and move on when it is...and let me speak more slowly so everyone understands.....it's E-L-E-V-A-T-O-R M-U-S-I-C !!!!!

There can not possibly be anyone in these forums that would actually even TRY to edit highlight clips to this junk.

I can see doing it if it was just some over-used tired music we've all come to hate like Amazed by Lonestar.

So, back to my original question. There is probably no real answer to this I guess. I thought by some luck, someone could hand me a miracle solution and everyone would live happily ever after.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques