sde at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

sde

I just want to say that after I have done my 2nd sde, I have the utmost respect to people like Jason M, Julie Hill, Patrick M, Daniel, Joel P, and others for their great work on SDE. I find that it is SO HARD to pull off what they do every week. I had 90 minutes to pull this one off and I swear I lose 1 month of my life span for each hour I spend on a SDE and my quality are miles away from theirs. Bravo you guys and thanks for setting the standard.

The reason why I am posting this clip is not to share my work because I don’t feel there is noting special about it. I want to show that technology has given us the capability to give the client an “instant edit” almost like what we see on TV. I shot the first dance and within 5 minutes, I was able to add a clip of the first dance to the SDE and showed it. I shot with an EX1 and was able to edit the clip right off the SxS card without the need to download or conversion. The possibilities are great and I can’t wait to see all the great SDE Masters use the technology to push our industry forward

http://www.vimeo.com/1177319

Last edited by Don Pham; June 16th, 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Looks nice, great colors, CC, very expressive shots!
Just a little critique on making a story in editing:

single cake suggested abandonment, (where are the people, after we've seen so many, they are not related in any way to a cake??), empty restaurant hall makes sense, when couple and guests in the church, but not when couple is dancing (where are all the people gone? Do they share the couple's happiness, I's love to see that!)

Good work!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree with Oleg 100%. I also agree with you Don, hats off to those that do SDEs!! Once I have mastered regular editing, I will tackle this ; )

-JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I don't know what you are worried about Don, this was great work, i like the build up all the way through the end. With the help of the music the whole SDE was very serene. Just like Oleg, i really liked the CC done on the shots, especially at the beginning of the clip with the house... very well done.

I also like the vignetting you created on some of the shots, can i ask how you created it and in what NLE?

The only thing that took my attention away from all these great shots was the wobble created by your steady device, was it a glidecam, merlin???
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
The only thing that took my attention away from all these great shots was the wobble created by your steady device, was it a glidecam, merlin???
His steady device is most probably his arms. That might be the reason for wobble on some of the shots.

Great piece Don. I like the CC as well. Colors really pop out on some of the shots. As for the storytelling, I think you are going for more of a 'collection of top notch shots' in asynchronous fashion than telling the story from start to finish. Which works well for this piece. Good work. Keep it up.

Btw, had a chance to read an article about you on latest issue of EventDV magazine. Good to know that a fellow automotive engineer also into video production. Good to know that I'm not alone :-)
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Purad View Post
His steady device is most probably his arms. That might be the reason for wobble on some of the shots.

Great piece Don. I like the CC as well. Colors really pop out on some of the shots. As for the storytelling, I think you are going for more of a 'collection of top notch shots' in asynchronous fashion than telling the story from start to finish. Which works well for this piece. Good work. Keep it up.

Btw, had a chance to read an article about you on latest issue of EventDV magazine. Good to know that a fellow automotive engineer also into video production. Good to know that I'm not alone :-)
yup. most of the moving shots were hand held. only two shots were with a steady device at the reception.

i was not trying to tell any story. they get the story in the final edit. i was lucky just to get it done in 90 minutes for the showing. that is why i mentioned why i think the sde masters are so awesome. it would take me 6-8 hours to put something like theirs together.

cool...another engineer. are you a gear head or electron counter? :-)

Last edited by Don Pham; June 17th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old June 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pham View Post
cool...another engineer. are you a grear head or electron counter? :-)
an electron counter... unfortunately ;-)

used to work for GM for 5 years. Now working for a supplier for Ford. People at Oshawa plant are shocked with the news of closing of truck plant. Hope things are more stable in your neck of the woods.
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Don - love the quality of the EX1!!! I've been trying to figure out what would be the best route for me. I work daily in a college with tons of archived footage on many different formats of tape, and I like the ability to have a tape when needed. My questions is more of a workflow issue. I want the EX1 but can't seem to figure out on a cost basis how to archive the footage to tape...I don't want to burn the files to multiple bluray disc. How do you archive your footage, and other than the quality what are the benefits of the EX1 being card based instead of tape based??? Hopefully I will meet you guys down in Austin next year. Keep up the great work.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You should be proud of this work. 90 minutes is not very long to edit something together, and I think you did a great job. Sure there are things you could have done differently probably to tell a story better and so on, but I think this turned out very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old June 17th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Hello,

Very nice work here.. I am really impressed with the quality that is achieved in Same Day Edits.. !! Great work in such a short window of time..
What was the tune you used ?? Was that from Night Song Productions ??

Thanks !!
Old June 22nd, 2008, 08:48 AM   #11
Major Player

Great work Don! I think you should be proud of that SDE - and in 90 minutes too!

So cool that you were able to slot in the couple's first dance - very cool.

Personally, their SDEs are so good that I think JMag, StillMotion etc ... have figured out the whole time travel thing and they're just not telling the rest of us. Maybe as an engineer you could figure out how to attach a flux capacitor to your camera and away you go ;)

How did this SDE go over with the crowd at the reception? Were the couple happy with it?

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Stewart View Post
Don - love the quality of the EX1!!! I've been trying to figure out what would be the best route for me. I work daily in a college with tons of archived footage on many different formats of tape, and I like the ability to have a tape when needed. My questions is more of a workflow issue. I want the EX1 but can't seem to figure out on a cost basis how to archive the footage to tape...I don't want to burn the files to multiple bluray disc. How do you archive your footage, and other than the quality what are the benefits of the EX1 being card based instead of tape based??? Hopefully I will meet you guys down in Austin next year. Keep up the great work.
i archive each event, which is around 100 gig each, on 2 external HD. the ex1 is a great camera and i do not want to go back to tape again. it no longer takes 8 hours for me to capture from tapes. it takes me 5 min per 16 gig to down load the sxs card.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
You should be proud of this work. 90 minutes is not very long to edit something together, and I think you did a great job. Sure there are things you could have done differently probably to tell a story better and so on, but I think this turned out very nice. Thanks for sharing.

thanks travis for checking the clip out.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:42 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Moncrief View Post
Hello,

Very nice work here.. I am really impressed with the quality that is achieved in Same Day Edits.. !! Great work in such a short window of time..
What was the tune you used ?? Was that from Night Song Productions ??

Thanks !!
i do have the night song collection but this song was not from it.

thanks for viewing.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer View Post
Great work Don! I think you should be proud of that SDE - and in 90 minutes too!

So cool that you were able to slot in the couple's first dance - very cool.

Personally, their SDEs are so good that I think JMag, StillMotion etc ... have figured out the whole time travel thing and they're just not telling the rest of us. Maybe as an engineer you could figure out how to attach a flux capacitor to your camera and away you go ;)

How did this SDE go over with the crowd at the reception? Were the couple happy with it?

Cheers,

Matthew.
i think those two guys are from another planet. :-) they are too advanced to be human.

thanks for watching the clip.
Don Pham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques