Afghan Wedding Client - ???'s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dave, that was a really great and insightful post. I think you are probably right that they are used to bargaining to get the best deal, whereas I am used to having my pricing exactly where I want it and I simply don't discount it because I feel I'm discounting my own value.

I'll have to think this over some more. I'm really struggling between offering to do it at an amount I feel will almost overcompensate me, or just flat turning them down. My biggest concerns are that we won't reach an understanding on expectations due to the communication barrier, and that this type of event simply won't fit with my style of shooting and editing.

I'm probably going to go with turning them down, because I don't necessarily "need" the work and I certainly don't need a problem situation with a client. I'll think over what you said, though, because you had some excellent advice and wording.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:14 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Glad to offer some insight. The key is mutual respect, and you will have to work for it, but you might find you'll have clients for life <wink>!

FWIW, you need to "overcompensate" so you've got room to bargain, and you still may find some difficulties and wondering whether it was worth it, but at least with Tom's insights and mine, you're going in with a good idea of how to handle it! Best of luck!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks again. I'm realizing as I think this over that I really don't like clients who are looking to bargain, even if I factored that into the cost. The reason being that it becomes a slippery road where you give in and compromise and then the client just finds something else to try and bargain with you on.

I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the comments.
Old June 18th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #19
Inner Circle

This is why my friends take ME to the car dealer... I don't mind haggling, but I know it's about the last thing most people "like" to do!

I just enjoy "getting a great deal" (and giving one as well) and finding the "win-win" for everyone, can't help myself really, but I'm a bit odd that way.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 03:09 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, I don't mind bargaining in cases where it's expected. Like if you walk through a market in Mexico they EXPECT you to bargain. I just don't like bargaining when it comes to my own services because I feel I've already priced myself according to my value, and when someone wants to drop my price it's basically like they aren't respecting my value.

I also believe waiters should get normal salaries and not REQUIRE tips as part of their basic pay ... but that's a whole 'nother issue ....

- btw, I've always thought the "no shoes no service" thing didn't make any sense because it's not like people are preparing their own food with their own feet ... lol
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #21
Major Player

Be straight up with the client about your inepxerience with Afghan weddings.. They probably won't find many vendors who are experienced with Afghan weddings so they'll be okay with you. Hold a pre-wedding session to go over all the important aspects of the wedding they want you to cover.

As far as haggling.. include some additional features into the package that wouldn't be much effort on your part but would seem like an added value to them..

I've had wealthy Indian clients who haggled with me over a $100 discount...
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #22
Inner Circle

I see your points, but as this event is going to be more difficult to film I'm not really interested in discounting my rate or giving anything away for free. If anything, I would prefer to be compensated more than usual because of the difficulties involved.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #23
Trustee

Bosnian Wedding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Be straight up with the client about your inepxerience with Afghan weddings.. They probably won't find many vendors who are experienced with Afghan weddings so they'll be okay with you. Hold a pre-wedding session to go over all the important aspects of the wedding they want you to cover.
As far as haggling.. include some additional features into the package that wouldn't be much effort on your part but would seem like an added value to them..
I've had wealthy Indian clients who haggled with me over a $100 discount...
I shot a Bosnian wedding one week before my own wedding and taht wedding day sounds similar to the description above. The party goes on a long long time, though this lady (the bride was my customer not the MOB) did not bargain or insist I stay and shoot more footage (though I stayed until things ended around 1am any way - but on a 1 cam shoot with no time limit, I might as well).

I do agree with all that is said about the bargaining.... I just don't like it.

And for the people not involved in this, I also was contacted to shoot this same client's engagement (I don't remember if Travis kicked it over to me or the other way around) but I turned it down as well. And I also was contacted for the wedding, but they did not like my bottom of the barrel package price (an absolute steal at the time of $900 for 1 cam for all day for a 30min final production).

Just remember that for any given customer, you cannot possibly satisfy all three of the following demands and getting two of them is still hard: 1) cheap 2) fast 3) High Quality

Some people will still not be satisfied if they only want one of the above and they get the one they want.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Just remember that for any given customer, you cannot possibly satisfy all three of the following demands and getting two of them is still hard: 1) cheap 2) fast 3) High Quality
Exactly. I'm going to be turning this down. It's just not worth the additional hassle. Thanks for all the responses.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques