my first highlight video...tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Major Player

my first highlight video...tips?

Hi folks, I just finished my first wedding ever, here's the highlight video I made for it (I just did ceremony and reception)

I know my reception footage is ultra grainy, and I gotta fix that when shooting my next wedding.

I'd appreciate any tips you may be able to offer or any suggestions!

thanks everyone.

sorry folks, I was an idiot and forgot to post the link. here it is: http://dsvideo.ca/jon&candace.html

Last edited by David Schuurman; June 25th, 2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot to post link
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Can you post a link?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Loved the video... wait a minute, that's right no linky link. ;)
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

lol sorry, I just posted it.
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

First, it's tough to do a proper highlights video with only ceremony and reception footage. Been there done that. I'm actually revising my packages next year to try and avoid that situation in the future. Still, pretty good work on what you did.

Suggestions? First, lose the "light rays" filter you used early on. It doesn't contribute anything to the shot and just serves as a distraction from the shot. Second, you used a "dazzle" filter when they were signing the license or whatever. I was about to say lose that filter too, since it was just standing out from the shot, but then when you pan up and you hit the dress the dazzle on her beading works very well. So, I would cut the filter early in that shot but have it for the dress part because it contributes to the shot at that point in my opinion.

I honestly am not a fan of putting interviews in the highlights video, but that's a personal choice. Like I said, it's hard to do a highlights video with limited footage, so maybe you felt you had to put the interviews in to fill out the song. Either way, I would suggest hitting record sooner and having your camera set before you have someone start giving their interview. I learned this lesson the hard way many times before I actually learned it. Approach a table, start recording, get your camera set and then ask the target .. I mean victim .. I mean guest your questions. That way when they start talking you have plenty of pre-roll and the shot is stable. Saves headaches in post.

Hope that helps!
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Inner Circle

looked good, only a minor thing, avoid those "up nose" angles - relatively unflattering. QT errored out about 85-90% through, locked on one of those "up nose" frames, not sure what happened, audio still worked...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:38 AM   #7
Major Player

The first few seconds look good but then I gave up. I don't know why people use Quicktime. It always seems to take forever to download.
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I agree with Travis and others about what's been said so far. I LOVED the dazzle filter used on her dress and I think you used it at the ceremony for the lights, but it was a little too "fake" on the groom's rings. I am also not a big fan of even doing table interviews... maybe they wanted them, but people always just look uncomfortable. That being said, I liked the angle you had (although shaky) while they were sitting verses the ones with people standing (someone before me mentioned the "up the nose" shots). I did want to comment also, that the audio for these interviews was really impressive, considering how far you are away from the people, especially at the tables. Did you use some sort of mic that I'm not seeing?

Definitely not bad for your first! Good job, I'm sure they'll enjoy it!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #9
Major Player

thanks for the comments so far.

Travis: I assume you mean the light rays on the kiss since it's the only place I used it. I was kinda iffy about it myself but left it in. I should've left it out I guess.

Dave: up-nose angles, got it. thanks!

as for the dazzle filter, I really like it for the signing clip, especially on the dress, when I showed the B&G he actually thought it was real, lol. what a silly guy.

Anyway I appreciate what you've said and I DEFINITELY am going at least to the photo shoot for my next wedding!
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #10
Major Player

My only advice.

1. Ensure every shot has a purpose
2. Vimeo.com
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
The first few seconds look good but then I gave up. I don't know why people use Quicktime. It always seems to take forever to download.
I second that!
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #12
Major Player

so do you all use flash?

it's on vimeo btw http://vimeo.com/1163961

sorry for not giving the link earlier.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:12 AM   #13
Major Player

More people have flash than Quicktime. Infact, looking at analytics 100% of visitor to our site uses flash with only 3 having a version that wont work on Vimeo.

Vimeo, great quality, fast, easy, nice to embed and more universal. Love it!
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #14
Trustee

Personally I prefer to host my own Flash videos myself.
This way I have total control over the quality and don't have to worry about re-encoding. Although Vimeo is pretty good compared to most.

Plus, since I created my own video jukebox, adding new FLV files as as simple as uploading the file to my server and updating my XML playlist.
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Inner Circle

For clients, I like to host my own videos simply because they are then on MY website. So when they send the link out to friends and family, all of those viewers are hitting up my own website to watch the video, and that's good marketing. Doesn't have the same effect if they just end up at Vimeo (not that Vimeo isn't awesome!).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques