Omni-Tracker + Brevs + FX1 = SDE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 29th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
that's really cool Jason (as ever), and it must be great for tight spots..but it's only downside is looking for flat surfaces to use it on?

so in an ideal world, I'd use my lovely Glidetrack for outside establishing shots, and that thing for small inside detail shots

great work...
Yes, it really needs a flat surface to achieve the effect. But I was surprised that It just really needed an area 1.5x as wide as it was in order to be useable.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
You made me cry, you big jerk. Now I officially hate you, too.

Man, that was great...
hahahaha. you have a hardcore badass mob name and wedding videos tear you up? YOU MAKE ME SICK! hahahah

thanks for watching.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
You made me cry, you big jerk. Now I officially hate you, too.

Man, that was great...

LOL Vito! I have these pangs of self doubt when I watch great work like this and Travis C's stuff.

Jason, if it's not too "inside" do you have assistants and or other shooters on your events? I seem to get major pushback on the second camera or assistant idea when I propose it. Probably about 50/50 between budget or the clients perception that there will be too much distraction with more than one cam.

Do you use warm cards? I find that perfect white balance nausating literally. I'm not sure what it is but for some reason I hate it. Your vids seem so much warmer but that may be the serious Bokeh you got going on. That Brevis is a bad motor scooter:)

Still can't get over the fact that I would need to carry that much more junk around. My jobs are really short and fast paced. Your SDEs just blow away so many others highlights that take months for people to get.

Do you plan your shots ahead of time? Like a story board? Oh yeah, and boxers or briefs? :)

Mike
Mike.

1. I always have another shooter to cover the groom prep and the 2nd/reverse angles at church and ceremony. I would hate to miss anything at the bride prep and run around in the church to find a better angle. I know it can be done but I'm no Joel P.

Labor is cheap here so I can afford two other assistants to setup stuff and take care of equipment. I don't however pay them cheap. =) If I'm feeling like it, I hire another person to wipe my sweat. j/k

2. I don't like perfect WB too. Too blah, too antiseptic. I like warm (almost too much). No warm cards but approximate a good WB within a given situation. As you know, we also color in post so a great deal is added after the fact.

3. I know what you mean about the junk. Necessary evils I suppose. I started out with a GL1 and a Velbon tripod with not much else.

4. Except for a couple of looks/pegs/approaches/trick shots that dawn upon me from time to time. SDEs are mostly winged. The song however is chosen prior. Sometimes months before, sometimes the night before.

5. Commando.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I meant to also ask how you felt about working with the Omni-tracker. I checked out the website and it seems pretty straightforward as far as setup and use. What are your thoughts?

Also, did you find that you locked the tripod head controls down when doing a movement, or did you tend to keep them free? I ask because if you don't really need to use the tripod head controls then a cheaper tripod head would work for the unit, which means it might be something I could add to my budget sooner, lol.
Travis.

I love the unit. Assembly could have been done by a seven year old. There was no manual or setup sheet.

A quick glance at the website (where all the instructions were) told me everything I needed to know.

I suppose a cheap head would work perfectly, but I guess as I become a more advanced user, I'll practice tilting up while dollying in and out.
Old June 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Williams View Post
Could you please stop raising the bar? Maybe for a few years? Just so I can ake the semi-finals :)

Awesome work as usual Jason!

Thanks for sharing.
Lol Mike. I can't. Not when StillMotion and Mayad don't sleep either.
Old June 30th, 2008, 06:59 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Magbanua View Post
hahahaha. you have a hardcore badass mob name and wedding videos tear you up? YOU MAKE ME SICK! hahahah
Hey! We Italians have no trouble with showing our emotions. You ever see the mother-groom dance at an Italian wedding? It's a sob fest...

Always a pleasure to view your videos, Jason. Keep up the stellar work.
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:36 AM   #22
Major Player

Jason, great piece,
if I could ask you, how much time it took you to edit this SDE, please?
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:36 AM   #23
Major Player

Stunning! Best wedding videographer in my book!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 11:09 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
And like a shark swooping in, does this mean any of your GL2s will be up for sale? :-)
They will be soon, as long as all of the new stuff works out. One of my assistants has first dibs, though. You also interested?
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:46 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
They will be soon, as long as all of the new stuff works out. One of my assistants has first dibs, though. You also interested?
Yes. (Message sent offline to keep this from getting too off topic).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:31 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Jason, great piece,
if I could ask you, how much time it took you to edit this SDE, please?
Hi Oleg.

We left the temple at around 430pm and sped to the reception. I edited 5-7pm and waited for the 2nd ceremony to commence. I was filling in the blanks around 8pm. We screened around 8:45p.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 07:57 PM   #27
Major Player

We're not worthy!

I think it's safe to say in unison

Bow to the JMAG and repeat:

"WE'RE NOT WORTHY"
Mike Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques