hv30. a good second camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

hv30. a good second camera?

Need to decide on a second camera for weddings. I don’t have much money to spend and was thinking of a canon hv30. The only time it will be used is in the morning and the church. I know it’s not supposed to be good in low light, but how bad are they?

I already have a Z1 and was thinking about the Sony HDR-HC9E, but the Canon seems to be the winner for most people. Would it be good enough? Will be editing all in hdv and delivering in SD
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Megahey View Post
Need to decide on a second camera for weddings. I don’t have much money to spend and was thinking of a canon hv30. The only time it will be used is in the morning and the church. I know it’s not supposed to be good in low light, but how bad are they?

I already have a Z1 and was thinking about the Sony HDR-HC9E, but the Canon seems to be the winner for most people. Would it be good enough? Will be editing all in hdv and delivering in SD
There's quite a lot of information in the section of Compact High Definition Camcorders on "(HDV2) Canon VIXIA HV30 / HV20 / HV10." Here's a link: http://dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=139

Only you can answer "Would it be good enough?" and "how bad are they?" by getting hold of one and trying it out, although there are quite a few clips and stills here from the HV30 and before that the very similar HV20. I use HV30s as 2nd/3rd cameras to an XHA1 and I am constantly surprised by how good the quality is from the HV30s.

Yes, it is easy to take rotten video in low light, but if you are prepared to find out how to work around the auto gain, with care the results in low light can be much better than we are led to believe by some. There's several posts on this subject if you search here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Colin McDonald; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Realised Niall's not new here
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I use two FX1s but have often thought about getting a couple of smaller cams for different angles and also my lower single cam operator packages (main film on FX1 and second angle on smaller cam).

My feeling has always been that sticking with the same camera manufacturer would be the best way to get a match of quality, maybe I am wrong but would like to know others opinions on the subject....

Plus if anyone is using a smaller cam with their FX1 I would love to have some feedback on what they have and the results they have gotten from the mix of cams.
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I like the idea of having a smaller compact camera for other things as'well, like been able to attach a fisheye lens quickly for shots without having to go near my Z1. I shoot on my own so carrying two z1s around would be hard going along with everything else. plus if i had it set up an unmanned cam i would'nt worry as much about something happening to it as much as an Z1 or Fx1.
(Kid running into it!) I dont know. i have never tryed setting another camera up on its own, but ive read about a lot of guys that do it.

Any tips on doing that? Best place etc? close ups, wide shot?
Niall Megahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall Megahey View Post
I i have never tryed setting another camera up on its own, but ive read about a lot of guys that do it.

Any tips on doing that? Best place etc? close ups, wide shot?
I don't normally do weddings but a leaving the unmanned camera running on a farly wide shot from a balcony or galley gives you a fall back. If you frame it carefully it's possible to use a remote zoom on it (done it many times) but that is living a little dangerously. That trick needs practised beforehand and won't work if where is anything in the way. You also have to be sure no-one will nick your camera!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Major Player

While I can see the adding an HV30 for a *third* camera... I'd really suggest scrimping and saving for another matching Z1 if possible - even a used one if you can find it.

The HV30 makes sense for a capture deck and maybe bits of footage to use in an emergency but again... 2 matching cameras are gold in post.

I know this may not be possible for you but find a way. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #7
Major Player

If I shoot alone I use it as a second camera, if with another cameraman, a third
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques