First Wedding comming up Saturday wanting advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 6th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First Wedding comming up Saturday wanting advice

It will be 2 cams. 1 static cam and 1 manned. Im covered on the audio end Im just kind of looking for advice on camera placement. The church has 3 isles a left a right and a center. Its not very deep from front tto back. I know I have to try and find plaxes where when people stand up I will still be able to get the shot, and I know I want to shoot from the grooms side during vows any other advice on placement and movement would be appriciated. There is no loft, balcony, or raised portion in the rear......Thanks in advance
Shaun Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Major Player

You don't say if you will be able to move to work both cameras. I'll assume you can't:

First, go to the rehearsal. Take one of your cameras and just set it up on a tripod somewhere. Record the whole thing and review it that night.

For a 2 camera, one person shoot I'd really find a way to get that static cam up high in the rear if possible (at least 8 feet with a lightstand maybe). Set it to wide for your cutaway shots and to cover your movements.

With your manned camera, get the processional up front. If you had a 2nd shooter, moving to the groom's side would be preferrable but since it's just you I'd circle around and plant myself down the center of the aisle and stay put. There's really no reason to stay on the groom's side as you won't be able to get any of his face.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Unfortunatley this is very last minute and I have not yet been able to get a hold of their pastor. At this point Im assuming I can move around
Shaun Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't have very much experience with weddings but from what I've done I think the safest thing for you to do would be set up with a wide shot at the back shooting down the aisle as much as possible, then get the processional from as close to the front of the aisle as you can, then move to the back and shoot both cameras within a few feet of eachother, one on wide and one on tight shots.

wouldn't be super creative but it'd probably be easiest.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

arrive early enough at the ceremony to talk to the officiant. He or she is the person in charge and will tell you what you can and can't do during the ceremony.
canhave an unmanned camera there and do most anything I want. I shoot a lot in another catholic church where there is no camera allowed on the altar and the priest will only now allow me get the processional from the front and then move to the rear of the church.
Never assume you canor can't do things. ASK! it will save you grief and save the next coming in the same grief.

Relax,have fun.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Major Player

I agree with Don in that you can't assume anything like that. Many pastors will let you move around, at least a bit, but many won't. I've run into some that have had bad experiences with photogs and vids, and have toughened up the rules to keep the riffraff at bay. You mentioned when people stand up, and didn't mention if it was catholic. If so, they are usually a bit more strict, at least in my area here.

Anyhow, I also agree with attending the rehearsal, and getting that second camera about 8 feet up. At the rehearsal, you can figure out a lot by just trying different things. You might even be able to find a creative position up front for the second camera, instead of the back... although the back is safer.
Dan Shallenberger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques