Two questions: at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 14th, 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
New Boot

Two questions:

1. Is any special licensing required to film weddings?

2. Do any of you use some kind of waiver to protect yourself that basically says ... your satisfaction is not guaranteed. we will deliver a high quality product, but, as with all live events unexpected things can and do happen. etc. etc.

...or something to that effect.
Inari Saiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

1. No, but there are some organizations / associations out there that will gladly take your money in exchange for granting you "certification," should you feel like you need a piece of paper that says you do what you do. In my opinion you'll get a much better "certification" process for free simply by being an active member of this community through learning from and sharing with your fellow forum members here.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inari Saiga View Post
1. Is any special licensing required to film weddings?

2. Do any of you use some kind of waiver to protect yourself that basically says ... your satisfaction is not guaranteed. we will deliver a high quality product, but, as with all live events unexpected things can and do happen. etc. etc.

...or something to that effect.
No certs required, unless you live in a communist / controlling city / town that requires film permits for private occasions (no permits should be required, but that depends on where the wedding is being held... public park might be different and require a use permit). In CA things are very very different than most other states.

I do have language that says something to the effect that weddings are un predictable and I'll capture what I can, weather permitting. I also say that all of the final product is at the sole discretion of me.... and the only part they have any input on is spelling corrections should I mess up someones name or a word some where in the title work.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Major Player

[QUOTE=Inari Saiga;907389]1. Is any special licensing required to film weddings?

[QUOTE]

Hi Inari,

Chris is right, you can learn a lot by being active here. I would stay away from anyone who promises you more business just because you are certified by them. Brides have not heard of any of the companies that offer certification, so it doesn't mean anything to them if you are certified or not. What "certification" does it take money out of your pocket and put money in the certification companies pocket.

There is a local video association in Seattle, which is only about 2 hours from Portland. You should check out their website and pay them a visit. http://www.pevanpro.com/20696_4303.asp

When we were first getting started our local video association was very helpful to us and I highly recommend checking out Pevan. Tell Chris and Laura Randall I said hi.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques