Sticky situation... what would you do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 17th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sticky situation... what would you do?

So I did a wedding in June and they had paid for a "pre-wedding interview" session to be displayed at the reception. I prepared it and they loved it. The day of the wedding, i took the DVD that I had tested 2 times, and played it in the DVD player that I had tested it in. For whatever reason, the disk skipped the whole way through the video. I had apologized to the groom that night for the mistake and he was pretty cool about it and said he was just happy they'd have it as part of their final video.

Fast forward to today, the bride emails me and is pissed that I didn't address it with her. Her words were actually "I'm pretty dissappointed about our video and that you haven't acknowledged the mistake to me". I thought that by talking to one of them... that it was taken care, but in hindsight, I won't ever do that again. BUT, what would you do in this situation? Its over and done with... but would you try to make ammends by offering something to them? If so, what? I can't really see giving money back because I didn't charge them much, but what about additional copies of the video or soemthing? Suggestions? I do feel really bad cause I liked this couple and they were great to work with. I just don't want her to think I don't care! Thanks guys!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would say be honest and explain to her what happened. Express your deepest regrets and assure her that you didn't mean to not speak to her about what happened at the wedding. As a gesture you can offer her more copies of the video, but all you can do is apologize at this point, listen to her frustrations, and assure her that there was no ill intent.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

good guy, bad guy routine. I have had a lot of experience wiht dealing with couples. One will say it is OK. The other will say it is NOT OK. Point out that you had discussed it with her husband and did not want to disturb her on her special day. A wedding is more about the bride then the groom. Shaun bought up some good point on what to do. Giving money back will have NO effect on the issue at hand. You can not control a dvd breakdown like that. It could have been the player or the disk. On a more joking note, if they give you too much crap you can always tell them to blame it on the manufacture and give them the help number to the dvd player manufacture.
what is sound like is the wife is trying to take control of the situation and blame you. You handled it in a good manner, same as what I would have done.

ken
Kenneth Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #4
Major Player

This sounds real petty to me.

As a married couple they had better get used to representing and speaking for their "other half". I bet the groom is just as surprised about her response as you and has learned in his first few weeks of marriage what some of us still haven't. :)

You did nothing wrong so there's nothing to ammend.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I'm curious about the part "because I didn't really charge much". So was this something you did at a reduced rate so you could try it out and have something to show future clients? Or are you saying you just don't charge much for the service?

If it's the first one, and you talked to the couple beforehand that you were giving them a discount on the regular price, then you probably shouldn't feel obligated to do anything extra for them (although you should definitely call the bride and work things out verbally).

If it's the second one, then you've set yourself up by offering your services at less than you feel you are worth. This is one of the biggest business mistakes videographers make I think. Don't ever offer your services for less than you think you are worth. As far as your client is concerned, they will think you are offering your services for what you think you are worth. So you won't be able to diffuse a situation by saying you "didn't really charge that much". Make sure you're charging what you're worth.

But I would start with a phone call to the bride and apologize .. not for not speaking to her, but for the miscommunication between her and her new husband. Both of them are your clients and both of them represent client authority on the wedding day, whether it's about the bride or not. So just be clear and let her know you didn't to interrupt her night and that you had spoken with the groom about the issue. Then be clear that you apologize that you didn't realize she would want to be bothered about the issue as well. Be apologetic for the situation, but don't admit you did anything wrong, because I don't believe you did.
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I'm curious about the part "because I didn't really charge much". So was this something you did at a reduced rate so you could try it out and have something to show future clients? Or are you saying you just don't charge much for the service?

If it's the first one, and you talked to the couple beforehand that you were giving them a discount on the regular price, then you probably shouldn't feel obligated to do anything extra for them (although you should definitely call the bride and work things out verbally).

If it's the second one, then you've set yourself up by offering your services at less than you feel you are worth. This is one of the biggest business mistakes videographers make I think. Don't ever offer your services for less than you think you are worth. As far as your client is concerned, they will think you are offering your services for what you think you are worth. So you won't be able to diffuse a situation by saying you "didn't really charge that much". Make sure you're charging what you're worth.

But I would start with a phone call to the bride and apologize .. not for not speaking to her, but for the miscommunication between her and her new husband. Both of them are your clients and both of them represent client authority on the wedding day, whether it's about the bride or not. So just be clear and let her know you didn't to interrupt her night and that you had spoken with the groom about the issue. Then be clear that you apologize that you didn't realize she would want to be bothered about the issue as well. Be apologetic for the situation, but don't admit you did anything wrong, because I don't believe you did.
It was not my first one, but as an "add-on" to a package (granted my largest package) I used to cut them a break for these. I don't do that any more... I charge the same price to anyone.

I did send her an email because she is at work and I like to get back to people right away. But I plan to call her tonight as well. I think I am just a little shocked by her reaction. Things go wrong with technology all the time, and really, I think she would understand that. She's a smart girl, but unfortunately with life in the theater, she's quite the "drama queen".

I did breifly cover in the email the converstion with her hubby, but I think you worded it well, and I'll probably use that on the phone tonight..."I didn't realize she would want to be bothered about the issue". The funny part about this is, the groom was my contact in the very beginning, so typically I consider the first person I talk to "in charge". HAHA... lesson learned again, next time I will at least send an email or something afterward to both parties.

Thanks for the replies!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan View Post
The funny part about this is, the groom was my contact in the very beginning, so typically I consider the first person I talk to "in charge". HAHA... lesson learned again, next time I will at least send an email or something afterward to both parties.
Lesson learned for both of us. I've always just worked with whichever one seemed to be "in charge". After your story, I think I'll be sure and talk to both in the future. Good luck!
Old July 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

On another note, I never trust a DVD as my primary source. I always print back to tape and play via an el-cheapo DV camcorder brought along as back up. Patch the wireless into the DJ's sound system and we are good to go. I will take a couple of DVDs as back up only.

But that's just me,
Mike
Mike Bisom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bisom View Post
On another note, I never trust a DVD as my primary source. I always print back to tape and play via an el-cheapo DV camcorder brought along as back up. Patch the wireless into the DJ's sound system and we are good to go. I will take a couple of DVDs as back up only.
Thats probably a really good suggestion. I will definitely consider this in the future, as a I have several of these this year.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques