Is this style of highlights too simple? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 20th, 2008, 06:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this style of highlights too simple?

Here's an example of one of our montages, we prefer to keep them simple and not throw too many effects in. Do you think it needs more flashy stuff?

http://www.vimeo.com/1373450
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not being at all skilled in wedding stuff, and having no idea what current practice is, I quite liked the Black & White and slomo stuff. Personally, I thought it quite nice. Is this kind of thing the norm now?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Pleased you liked it Paul.. It's the norm for us, I think most other people do something more fancy.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Major Player

I liked it as well. You let the pictures tell the story instead of putting in a ton of effects. As long as your client is expecting this type of video, then I think you are just fine. When I do weddings, I tell them I do what would be called "documentary" style. I just try to document the event, but I make sure that's what the client expects. I really thought it was nicely done.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

very nice!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:31 AM   #6
Major Player

Tony - nice work. Clean, smooth, stable footage. Not sure about the b&w throughout but I see where you were going with it. Maybe a little too much slow mo. No need for more effects but maybe more shot variety.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
Here's an example of one of our montages, we prefer to keep them simple and not throw too many effects in. Do you think it needs more flashy stuff?

http://www.vimeo.com/1373450
The very first opening title isn't my style. Not that Brides and your customers won't like it, I just don't use animated backgrounds.

I also liked the transition to full color on the bride, but I would not have use so much B&W / slow motion footage (unless that is what the bride wanted). I would try a re edit with less of each and show them both to non-videographers and see which ones they like. Our opinion is nice and all, but if professional's opinion was the only thing that mattered, why would lousy movies from Hollywood make hundreds of millions of dollars at the box office, right? The opinion of customers & non-professionals probably matters more than our opinions.

Your shots were well framed and with crystal sharp focus, so nice job on the good camera work.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM   #8
Major Player

it tells a story, it shows the event, it's crystal clear quality...

from a business side, it doesn't strike me as having a particular 'style' or anything which sticks out as being overly different from competition, but you are clearly busy with bookings, and you deliver blu-ray, so you don't need to worry one bit! :)

so many brides LOVE B+W and request it, carry on i say!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Trustee

Very nice footage, and you have some great closeup expressions from everyone.
I think that there was too much B&W as well. Many of those shots looked like they would have been real rich and vibrant in color, this enhancing the clip more.

If I personally use B&W at all it's sparingly to create a mood (usually reflective) during the piece. I use it more as a special effect here and there to break up the piece and add a sense of longing.

Also, some real time footage mixed in with some natural audio could go a long way with this, to heighten the senses more.

All in all though it was a very nice piece.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll have to try less B&W and slomo, and maybe some live sound too.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:38 AM   #11
Major Player

I thought it was a good solid piece. As Jason said the camera work is spot on - crystal clear!

As for improvements, here are my suggestions:

- limit the use of cross-dissolves and zooms - go for more straight cuts
- maybe a bit less black and white - use B&W as a feature
- I've never been a fan of video footage that 'freeze frames' and becomes a photograph - at least you didn't use a camera shutter sound effect ;)

The above changes (IMHO) would lend your montages a more contemporary, modern feel. Your footage looks excellent but you could improve upon it in the edit without using any more effects or 'flashy stuff'.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Matthew Ebenezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #12
Regular Crew

song?

Hi, I really enjoyed your highlight. Can you tell me what the name of the song is you used?

thanks
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #13
Regular Crew

I see Digital juice in the first shot?

Nice piece, as the others have said it is clean and tells the story in great clarity footage.
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:50 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice DeMille View Post
Hi, I really enjoyed your highlight. Can you tell me what the name of the song is you used?

thanks
Hi Janice, it's Luther Vandross - So Amazing
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Baker View Post
I see Digital juice in the first shot?

Nice piece, as the others have said it is clean and tells the story in great clarity footage.
Hi Vince, not Digital Juice, it's a Digital Hotcakes background.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques