Odd Situation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 20th, 2008, 06:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Odd Situation

Hi I'm Nate long time lurker new poster. I did a wedding for a friend of my wife's a few weeks ago. Everything went pretty well. Shot w/ HV-20, and two Panasonic SD cams. I know its not the big boy toys. It was free in exchange for demo material. Nonetheless, the wedding was ran by two church provided coordinators. One I had in High School 12+ years ago as a business teacher. A little odd.

The wedding shoot consisted of two manned cams and one unmanned in the loft in upper (2nd floor) rear. Well after the ceremony and recession I ran up to shutdown the cam. Well somebody did that for me. I went down and asked the ushers and the wedding coord. I knew no one saw anything.

Well when I went to capture later I found I had an uncredited videographer was running my loft cam. Ironically someone intentionally put their hands when my wife came down the aisle to cover her (Matron of Honor). I found out later that the 2nd coordinator my wife mocked after the third time within a few minutes of time came back and more less demanded the bride end her restroom break before the ceremony. Which I wasn't happy about. After rolling the aisle vid. I am moderately certain that it was the 2nd coordinator judging by the sleeve cut. Can't totally nail it at 400% on SD vid.

Not that I plan on doing anything. The is the 7th wedding video I have done in a decade. Never had anything like that before. Anyone else?
Nate Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Nope, but if someone touched any of my equipment it wouldn't go over to well. In terms of your situation, from a legal standpoint, no money, no contract, the end. I suppose you just have to do the best you can.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #3
New Boot

my thoughts too

Yeah the Bride was not happy about it. The church pretty much ran over her wishes all day the groom was shocked as well. Although it gave me grief in post. Not much. I just have never heard of such a thing.
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #4
Major Player

wow, that pretty much beats any bad photog story I've heard.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Spencer View Post
Hi I'm Nate long time lurker new poster. I did a wedding for a friend of my wife's a few weeks ago. Everything went pretty well. Shot w/ HV-20, and two Panasonic SD cams. I know its not the big boy toys. It was free in exchange for demo material. Nonetheless, the wedding was ran by two church provided coordinators. One I had in High School 12+ years ago as a business teacher. A little odd.

The wedding shoot consisted of two manned cams and one unmanned in the loft in upper (2nd floor) rear. Well after the ceremony and recession I ran up to shutdown the cam. Well somebody did that for me. I went down and asked the ushers and the wedding coord. I knew no one saw anything.

Well when I went to capture later I found I had an uncredited videographer was running my loft cam. Ironically someone intentionally put their hands when my wife came down the aisle to cover her (Matron of Honor). I found out later that the 2nd coordinator my wife mocked after the third time within a few minutes of time came back and more less demanded the bride end her restroom break before the ceremony. Which I wasn't happy about. After rolling the aisle vid. I am moderately certain that it was the 2nd coordinator judging by the sleeve cut. Can't totally nail it at 400% on SD vid.

Not that I plan on doing anything. The is the 7th wedding video I have done in a decade. Never had anything like that before. Anyone else?

I don't want to be rude, but I couldn't understand that post at all.
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:20 AM   #6
New Boot

Sorry yeah a bit unclear.

>I don't want to be rude, but I couldn't understand that post at all.

Basically someone from the church. Probably one of the (church provided) coordinators (viewed via the cam that shot the aisle) ran my fixed cam intentionally as in operated my cam w/o my knowledge or permission. Also tried to blot out my wife who was the bridesmaid.

My post is to see if anyone else has had anything crazy like that happen. With a church provided wedding coordinator or some sort of church staff member just run your stationary cam.
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yeah the Bride was not happy about it. The church pretty much ran over her wishes all day the groom was shocked as well. Although it gave me grief in post. Not much. I just have never heard of such a thing.
I once had an organ player drag my static balcony cam downstairs with tripod and all and toss it in a pile on top of the photogs' gear without ever mentioning it to me...
I flipped out.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Nazeck View Post
I once had an organ player drag my static balcony cam downstairs with tripod and all and toss it in a pile on top of the photogs' gear without ever mentioning it to me...
I flipped out.
FLIPPED OUT! That's hopefully an understatement! I think there would be bloodshed if that were to ever happen to me.

Worst I had was a nasty photographer that deliberately stood in front of a static cam... I mean looked directly into the camera, smiled and placed themselves to block the entire shot. I did sense a problem before the ceremony, so I had an extra cam set, just in case!
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 08:47 AM   #9
Trustee

wow. people have no decency at all.

worst I've had so far (thankfully) was a priest that at the rehearsal the night before. When I went up to say hello and introduce myself to him, the first thing he said was "Video people? Oh, I hate video people."

Assuring him I would be discreet, I walked away, muttering in irony about how unwelcoming a priest of all people could possibly be.
Old July 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM   #10
Major Player

Great! So this is what I have to look forward to eh?

The whole thing just sounds bizzare!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:03 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post

This? Heheheh. These stores are just the beginning. I'm sure Don Bloom who has been at this a few decades, could tell some amazing stories.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Trustee

Great, now I'll be even more paranoid about leaving my equipment unattended. Maybe I should get a bunch of wireless webcams and have them pointed at my equipment, feed it into my laptop. That's kind of a weird image, a webcam filming an unmanned video camera.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #13
New Boot

I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post

That is how it struck me. The photogs which were really good they were shocked too when we chatted during dinner. I know I will keep a much closer watch on things. I almost always have my primary cam on hand with tapes and batts. I also keep my case and macbook with the primary tripod.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
I know I will keep a much closer watch on things. I almost always have my primary cam on hand with tapes and batts. I also keep my case and macbook with the primary tripod.
You know... I'd almost consider this a one time deal and wouldn't change my work style just for the off chance it might happen again.

It was a fluke. There can't be that many idiots out there that would do this exact same thing.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 10:10 AM   #15
New Boot

true

Other than keeping a closer eye on things. I already do most of those things. I have had more issues with younger kids and "cool electronic" gadgets.

More than likely you are right a one time deal. That I would probably charge more for that venue if I ever shot it again. Their are billion churches here in the midwest odds are low I would do that church anytime in the near future. The possible lead I got from the other maid of honor. But down at the Methodist church down the road. This business seems to operate from leads.

Last edited by Nate Spencer; July 22nd, 2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: I hit send too soon.
Nate Spencer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques