Enough Horror Stories at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Major Player

Enough Horror Stories

We all had our fair share of annoying photographers, priest, best man doing a 30 minute speech ( I knew bob since Grade 1……….do the math). How about sharing our best moments.

1. I shot a Catholic wedding and the priest let me moved freely, even telling me where he thinks I have the best angle. Being able to stand on the Altar during the vows is like breaking into Area 51. Best part is he even announced on the microphone not to film his sermon which I absolutely adore.

2. I had a wedding that was done & over with at 8:30 pm. I was having 2nd thoughts of leaving ( shall I wait for the seafood buffet at midnight hmmmm)

3. Lastly, to this awesome couple, who got married in 15 minutes, park shoot across the church , had 2 round tables during reception, no speeches, 5 minutes away from my place, did not even ask for a discount. It took me some creativity to push the tape to 1 hour. May your tribe increase.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2008, 08:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
1. I shot a Catholic wedding and the priest let me moved freely, even telling me where he thinks I have the best angle. Being able to stand on the Altar during the vows is like breaking into Area 51. Best part is he even announced on the microphone not to film his sermon which I absolutely adore.
This is very common in my country. 5 years working in this business and never had a priest forbidding me of anything (ok, once i had one that told me i couldn't use the tripod on the altar, but that's workable).
A photographer even told me about a priest that 10 or 15 years ago would stop the ceremony to allow him to change the film.
Luis Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This is a good thread.....

Back in May working solo with 2 cams, the ceremony was going to push over an hour, but the priest coordinated a segment in the program to allow me time for tape change-out.

This same priest in passing at the reception stopped me to ask for my business card and stated that he would refer me to future couples,, sweet....
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Major Player

Here in Brazil you have free run too, 360 degrees around the alter etc. You can pretty much do what you want.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't know that I can pick a best moment ... more like my favorite couples. I love working with couples that trust me and love what I do. Those entire days are my favorite moments.
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:26 PM   #6
Trustee

I think my favorite was from last year when I showed up to the client's house to deliver the final product. The groom was completely blown away when he saw the movie because he wasn't involved in anything till the wedding day. He was wondering what the big deal was and why it took so long to "burn the video to DVD." He absolutely loved the production. Too bad the groom's and groom's friend's aren't likely to be planning weddings and passing around my contact info. :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I think my favorite was from last year when I showed up to the client's house to deliver the final product. The groom was completely blown away when he saw the movie because he wasn't involved in anything till the wedding day. He was wondering what the big deal was and why it took so long to "burn the video to DVD." He absolutely loved the production. Too bad the groom's and groom's friend's aren't likely to be planning weddings and passing around my contact info. :-)
Hi Jason, I have yet to see a groom that's interested in wedding videos/photos.lol. I also love brides getting misty eyed when you show them their video. Grooms usually gets misty eyed when they pay you at the end of the day j/k.lol
Noel Lising is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques