Wedding Highlights - with HD Time-lapse of sunrise/sunset in the Rocky Mountains at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Highlights - with HD Time-lapse of sunrise/sunset in the Rocky Mountains

We really enjoyed shooting this one just outside of Banff, Alberta, Canada. We arrived a day early to capture the sunset and to scout out some good locations to shoot. We found this abandoned mine shaft that turned out great.

All in all, a beautiful rocky mountain wedding.

Comments welcome!

http://vimeo.com/1488524

Luke Raymond
Luke Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The video is set as private.
Luis Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Whoops. My mistake, forgot to switch it on.

Thanks Luis!
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, I really liked the camera angles and scenery but I felt like I was watching a video to get me to buy some real estate at a mountain resort. Maybe reverse some of you pans every now and then as they always seem to go right to left.

Since this was a highlight clip, was there no natural audio to include like maybe a soundbite of the vows? Did they do anything at the reception that was worthy of showing, like their first dance?

Maybe I misunderstand what you call, "highlights" and I could be entirely off base here.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I find the first part of the video too long.
You got some nice shots, but the editing part need some work.
Right as it is, I find it a little boring. The shots are too long and, not saying you should edit to the beat but, you should listen to the music as you edit a little more.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:32 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comment Rick

Perhaps I should clarify the purpose of the clip. It's still a work in progress and I'm currently getting the reception footage ready to add in to it. I was just hoping to get some feedback on the piece so far.

I always like to use a shot of the location we're filming at to give the viewer a sense of location, hence the shot of the resort they were staying at.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Lois,

Can you be specific about what part you find too long?

Thanks for the feedback. I might give that a try.
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Raymond View Post
I always like to use a shot of the location we're filming at to give the viewer a sense of location, hence the shot of the resort they were staying at.
Hey, I perfectly understand. I used to get so much freaking b-roll to use as establishing shots that I wanted to include it all because it was so gorgeous (And I worked my arse off getting it). The result was... well, a lot of eye candy that just droned on and on.

If you're going to have that tune as the music bed with no other natrual audio in the piece then crank it up a bit so at least the lyrics can be heard clearly. (This may just be due to the encoding though)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM   #9
New Boot

I think you are off to a great start. You've got some really beautiful footage.

Perhaps the edit could be a little tighter, but regardless, your clients are going to love it.

Loved the shot at 3:09!!
Brandon Hammonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Luke,

I think Luis was referring to the opening sequence. Great work though, Banff would be a dream wedding shoot for me.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Rick,

I'll take a look and see if I can make the opening sequence a bit leaner. I'll take a look at the volume.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Brandon,

Thanks for the compliment! We were looking forward to shooting this one for a while. I have another wedding up there soon too. It's an exciting place to film.
Old August 8th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Major Player

My girlfriend lives in banff and every time I'm there visiting I wishI could shoot a wedding there.

And great shot of the dress, I wish it lasted until the dress was really close though
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Hi Luke,

I think Luis was referring to the opening sequence.
Yep, that was the one.
And I was expecting a change when the music got more speed, and i only got it a little later.
Another thing I didn't like (and I know what I'm going to say is questionable) was making two shoe shots and using both, but I know when we have two great shots it's hard to leave one out.
I'm sorry if I can't explain myself very well, It's hard in a foreign language.
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #15
Major Player

Hey Luke,

First off, I'm so jealous ... what a fantastic location!

I found that the music didn't suit the footage at all. Not sure if that's because Coldplay's new album is my absolute favourite at the moment but ... the music track just seemed so disconnected from the footage.

Not sure how much colour correction you did ... some shots look really nicely processed but others look almost raw. I wasn't a fan of the extreme slow motion on some shots as well.

Overall you've got some good footage to work with, if it was me I'd reconsider the music track and select something that better fit the footage and tells a bit more of a story when the two are combined.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Matthew.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques