After the video has been delivered at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

After the video has been delivered

Hi All,
I was wondering, after the couple has picked up their video and paid, how long do you offer re edits, and what do you do with all the files, timeline ect related to the video? Do you store it someway, or just make a back up of the final edit and delete everything?
Thanks in advance!!!
Shaun Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Major Player

After the delivery they have 7 days to notify us of any faults. The contract says that we can make changes and 'may' charge. Obviously not if its our fault.

Source media is kept for 3 months minimum for re-edits and renders.

Final DVD is kept indefinitley as an ISO for extra copies.

Source media and all project files are archived off to our NAS.

Source media is removed as and when I need space.

We have a 1TB NAS with 1TB external drive. Everything on the NAS is backed up to the drive, mirroring in effect except the archive stuff, that isnt backed up as its an acceptable loss. All work in progress is backed up as are the projects, music etc.

Lost the drive once but luckily had a backup so will never live iwthout it. It does mean for ever MB we add we need another for backups.
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

for me the video is paid for prior to the event. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me. Anyway, I give them 14 days to do changes that are my fault. Such as a mis-spelled name. Creative re-edits, none unless they pay as per my service agreement which I go over with them including the cost of that. So short answer to that is 14 days.

As for how long I keep the stuff,well after about 3 months I pull the RAW footage off my drive but keep all the Vegas projects and rendered material. The DVD project is kept for about 12 to 14 months after which I might get rid of it or not depending on how much I personally like it. Frankly after 25 years and 1600+ weddings, I don't really like any of them anymore. :-) (not really..I like a few every year but only the really special ones-mostly the ones that have tipped me)

O|O
\__/

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I archive to tape and DVD, and I keep the project with all files on my harddrives until I need the space - then I start deleting from oldest to newest.
Old August 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Major Player

I keep each client "active" for 60 days. This includes their entire edit intact should I need to fix a mistake (like spelling) or if they want to pay me to change something. Case in point... a MOG called me last week and wanted a CD copy of all the music that was performed at a wedding in June. Easy enough.

I will also warranty all DVD media for 60 days - each disk guaranteed to play.

After 60 days I'll archive their DVD(s) to tape for future web demos, make 2 copies for in-home demos, archive all the photoshop artwork files to a CD (in case they want to buy more copies a year later) then, nuke their edit for the drive space without batting an eye.

Everything's in writing so legally, I'm free and clear of them after 60 days which is a nice feeling. I finally just drew a line in the sand where my responsibility ends and theirs begins. I don't even save their tapes (I reuse them 2 more times).
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Basically I give them 30 days for any changes. Then all footage, with the exception of anything I may use in a reel, is deleted. A master of the final DVD is kept for 1yr.
Reuben Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We used to do pretty much what the rest have said. 7 days after delivery to fix any errors
or to adjust an edit if there is Just reason. WE keep source material 60 days typicially & a copy of the finished product indeffinately.
Recently we have been providing the couple with a Short samplier DVD of the most Important aspects of the wedding, Ceremony, Dances , about 1/2 way through to the final product delivery to get some input as to what they are expecting and to check the important stuff such as spelling Ect. This has resulted in Zero, reedits since we started doing this.
It also seems to get them excited about recieving the final product and keeps them off your back for a bit if you are really really busy and catches most of the common mistakes such as spelling up front early in the production.
Robin Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #8
Trustee

I give them a "proof" copy then allow them to make changes. After they've approved the proof with all changes I make the final copies. Once the final copies are delivered, any changes they want are billable.

I offload all source video and project files to a removable drive. Removable drives are cheap considering they hold 10 to 15 wedding each. I save them forever, but promise only one year in the contract.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques