Wedding clip for review...No Steadycam! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 17th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding clip for review...No Steadycam!

This was filmed without a steadycam. Just handheld.

Whilst I may be putting myself up for the firing line I hope! this may show that one can do handheld without a steadycam. Not taking away the importance of such a device!

Comments appreciated.

Cheers,

http://www.derienzo-videoproductions...ontagefast.wmv
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Major Player

I think you did a great job with the camera movement and overall..the video is very well done. Angles and variety are good, as is framing, grading and effects. My only issue is that the music presents a bit of a discord between the images and the mood. I know you worked hard to provide the video with the energy that the music required...but it was almost like the song choice was working against you. Towards the end, it started to lag..and the music became repetitive.

Not that every wedding piece should be a sappy romantic ballad, but techno is tough to create a story with.

Just my opinion, and I'm sure others will chime in saying that they loved the music....so take it with a grain of salt.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Wrangler

Without even watching it, I think it's perfectly safe to say that handheld is handheld, and Steadicam is Steadicam. Both have their time and place, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Rules are meant to be broken...
Old August 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Major Player

John, Hi!

I though it was well done, without stedicam, you've had some great short stedi moves, handheld.

I think that style, works great in your piece, shorter cuts, go fine with a particular music score.

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; August 18th, 2008 at 06:37 AM.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Very well done IMHO, I didn't miss the steadycam in any of your shots.
The difference a steadycam would do is that you could do longer moving shots instead of the short ones in this clip.

The music was okay too.

In general I liked it and I would be happy to show it to my clients.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Trustee

John I didn't have any problem with the non-steadicam shooting.
The varying angles and shot framing were good.

The problem I had with the edit is that the footage was too slow moving for the song. Way too much slow motion for this song. The song just has too much energy for the footage and edit.

This song needs fast cutting clips, mixed in with longer clips with some slow motion and quite a few speed changing clips, like you provided already.

Especially in areas where the song had fast transition drum beats. The slow motion clips and dissolves just didn't work. Shorted length/real time clips, and straight cuts would have been better suited here. Or longer clip with fast speed changes in them, like a driving car to the reception, fast emptying church or such.

Overall I thik you ahve some good footage here, but for a different song is all.
Just my .02 cents.

Edit: also I don't know if you have any other footage, but there was a bit too much footage form the photo shoot for my taste. Especially walking shots. Sometimes less is more. Use some of the best, most dynamic shots from the photo shoot for impact here and there throughout the video. This should enhance it more so.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques