Preparation Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Preparation Clip

Hey guys.
Here is a preparation clip I put together recently. I've been getting good feedback and just wanted to know what other videographers think. Be sure to stick around for the groom preparation.

Rostik Oksana Preparation on Vimeo

Thanks
Oh and does anyone know if you could upload a non-HD file to be HD size on vimeo? I think the quality would increase greatly that way...?

David
Touch Dream - Wedding Services
David Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kovalev View Post
Oh and does anyone know if you could upload a non-HD file to be HD size on vimeo? I think the quality would increase greatly that way...
As was explained to me, unless you use some up-res software there is now way to do that.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You have a good tempo with the editing and the music, and I felt you did a good job of capturing the mood and the event. You had some excellent shots of the bride during the first part. Now for some suggestions.

Watch out for shaky shots, and practice being steadier with the camera. Sometimes you had a really nice shot but the camera would bounce one way or another, or would be shaking somewhat. It kind of kills the goodness in the shot.

You had quite a few movement shots, and obviously no steadicam device. If you're going to attempt movement shots without a steadicam, you have to adjust the type of movement and the length of the shot to match. It's just not really possible to do a long turning shot handheld and not have it either bouncy or shaky or both. So keep an eye on how to adjust your handheld shooting to incorporate movement without jeapordizing the shot with bounce or shake.

You seemed to have an extreme number of dutch angle shots with the guys getting ready (I only watched the video once, but it felt that way). Some of the dutch angles were also fairly extreme. I would advise against using a dutch angle shot unless it helps compose a better scene. Using dutch angles for the sake of using dutch angles can hurt your footage.

Lastly, the color. There were some really beautiful shots mixed in with some shots that didn't seem color-corrected. That hurts the overall edit, so be watchful in your color correcting to make sure the clips have consistency or a specific color goal.

Anyways, I hope some of that helps. As always, thanks for sharing.

EDIT: Oh, as for the Vimeo question. I think you could do what you want but you'd have to place your SD footage on an HD timeline and edit it that way, unless your NLE has a way to export an SD timeline as an HD timeline. But I think Vimeo can recognize HD videos via their codec, so there's no way to upload an SD video and "trick it" to make it HD size I don't think.
Old August 20th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey David,
One thing that stood out to me right away was the repetition of certain shots. You have a lot of shots of the rings, a lot of the dress and a lot of the shoes right off at the start of the video. They're definitely shots that you want and sometimes if you get a couple of really good ones, it's hard to not want to include them all, but you have to be selective...I say this from experience as I used to do the same thing. Show only the ones that are adding to the story of flow of the video. I think there were 4 shots of the dress in a row that were just too much the same as one another and then 3 shots with the shoes where they were all framed about the same. If you do want to have multiple shots, try adding a little more variety in wide, medium, close up and other creative shots. Those will be more appealing when mixed together.
Definitely just my opinion, but more variety will help the overall composition and storytelling. Thanks for sharing!!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you for all your replies and advice. I'm learing everyday however I do try to always do the abnormal. The angles give it a modern look and not that old fashion style. We try to capture from creative angles and different coloring. I figured if they want something realistic, they'd want raw footage.

As for the over used clips... well thats actually not a music video. Its the "preparation scene" and just showing the dress clips and ring clips. When we do music videos, we limit that to only a few clips.

Thanks again.
David Kovalev is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques