One XH-A1 and an HV 20 for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

One XH-A1 and an HV 20 for weddings

The XH-A1 is a great camera but can I use the HV 20 in a way where it can be effective since I already own one. The aesthetics of the HV 20 are not the most professional, so what is the best option?
Arif Syed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif Syed View Post
The XH-A1 is a great camera but can I use the HV 20 in a way where it can be effective since I already own one. The aesthetics of the HV 20 are not the most professional, so what is the best option?
Incorporate a Letus Extreme on the HV30 and all it'll be longer than your A1!
Old August 23rd, 2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Do you think investing in a Letus for the HV20 for specific shots be more practical than getting a second xh-a1?
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #4
Major Player

If you are a doco style shooter then maybe not but if you like the filmic style then its a great option to have.

I am on xh-a1 with hv20/adapter (RNG35). It gives you pleny of options for shot styles. My hv20 and the adapter with 3 lenses is about half price of an A1 so you could if you want buy 2 hv30s, one with adapter and one for wide unmanned shots.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Major Player

I use both A1 HV20 now 30, and H1, depending on applications, I'd say it' s a great little camera, can't go wrong using it.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #6
Major Player

I use my A1 on a tripod for the A-footage and use a HV30 on a tripod as second cam for wide shots, inserts etc. during the cermony. But at the party and during dancing I also use the HV30 on a monopod on which I mounted a weight to the bottom. That way I can use it for steady shots or "crane-like-shots" and thus shoot "creative footage".
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #7
Major Player

Get a suction type mount or a gooseneck and clamp and you can stick the HV20 just about anywhere. Being so small, it make a great unobtrusive 2nd camera for unique perspectives (or just a safe wide shot). I take it on every shoot.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

IMO HV-20/30 is a unique choice for that price! Can serve both for craning, low/high angle shots, sometimes as a second cam unmanned on tripod.
I found one more application for this baby-camera :) You can give it to someone of guests (when it not usefull), and have pretty "live" footage that can help on editing, a kind of subjective camera..
Or even take guest-by-guest mini interviews in tight limo. People like such entertainment and I have vivid, natural emotions on shots :)
Serge Satkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Major Player

We use the HV30 as our 3rd static wide shot....it is an easy camera to hide and the footage is very good. Has low light limitations. It works great on a Glidecam 2000 to.
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I use XH-A1 as the main cam and HV30 as second cam. I gear up the HV30 with the Canon WD-H43 and the XH-A1's lens hood. Then mounted a shortgun mic and two CAnon VL-10 lights on top. Also using BP-2L24H the largest battery. Not bad looking.
Attached some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
One XH-A1 and an HV 20 for weddings-hv301.jpg   One XH-A1 and an HV 20 for weddings-hv302.jpg  

One XH-A1 and an HV 20 for weddings-hv303.jpg  
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:24 AM   #11
Inner Circle

As a Sony user, I think this also goes for the small sony HD cams - decked out properly, they not only look pretty professional, but they can do a pretty good job, many times where a big cam just isn't as effective. You just need to know what the camera can and can't do, but these little pocket rockets can do quite a lot!

Taky, nice rig, take me to your leader <wink>! Do you get those "Star Trek" coments too...? I get that when my minicams are all decked out with brackets, lights and sound!

While it's a bit of a strange feeling using the small camera and it doesn't feel quite as "in control", with the economy and tight budgets I'm considering using the small cams in multicam setups (already use multicam...) and leaving the big cam parked most of the time...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM   #12
Inner Circle

When both lights are on, it looks like Johnny-five the robot :)

As a one-man band, it's impossible to carry two XH-A1. So I went with HV30 for the size and cost. I actually have a second HV30 mounted on Merlin too.
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
When both lights are on, it looks like Johnny-five the robot :)

As a one-man band, it's impossible to carry two XH-A1. So I went with HV30 for the size and cost. I actually have a second HV30 mounted on Merlin too.
How are those two canon lights holding up in weddings Taky? Are they strong enough to fill the scene and not just spotlighting?
Old August 26th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Inner Circle

it's 20 Watt in total. It won't lit up the entire place but it certainly give me good result in shooting in ballrooms. I also have another VL-10 mounted on the XH-A1 too.

The best thing I like is they are all using the same BP-900 batteries. For the BP-970G, I can get about 3 to 3.5 hours continue usage per charge.
Old August 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Major Player

Nice, nice Taky, how do you like SVM. i just bought one today to use it with my A1. Do you use the 10db pad or the in camera 20db. Thx
Kiflom Bahta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques