Wedding Day Edit - Aug 23rd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 25th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Day Edit - Aug 23rd

Our latest Wedding Day Edit...

Let me know what you think!

Danielle + Jeff's Wedding Day Edit

Cheers,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Scott, nice job. I love the song.
Janice DeMille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 03:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Hey Thanks Janice!

Jeez do I have to put the name "Jason Magbanua" on my SDE posts to get more than one comment...? :o
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Trustee

Scott, I also love this song. Sorry had to say it.

Now as for the edit itself, you had some great shots in there, and some excellent glidecam shots. I loved the low angle dolly shot of the groomsman's sneakers, classic.

The only real issue that I had with the edit was at the beginning, where I thought that the black dissolve at :30 from outside the hotel to inside the church was too fast for the music. That and the glidecam shot coming through the door at 1:20 was distracting a bit with that glide in and then jump a bit closer to the bride.

Besides these little nitpickey things, I loved the imagery and color.
And of course you know me, I was overjoyed to HEAR applause from the crowd in a SDE when the couple kissed.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; August 29th, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Shama View Post
Hey Thanks Janice!

Jeez do I have to put the name "Jason Magbanua" on my SDE posts to get more than one comment...? :o
Nope, but it does help to make sure you're active in commenting on other people's posted videos. There are a number of posted videos on the front page here and I don't think you've commented on any of them. I'm not trying to be mean, but this stuff requires a community effort, and you shouldn't expect comments if you aren't giving them.

I'll be watching this later when I've got some time. Looking forward to checking it out!
Old August 29th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Very well done. I'll bet it was a big hit at the reception. The only the that kind of struck me as off was the clapping at the end. I think maybe if you had faded it longer it would have been better. It seemed to fade out to abruptly.

I loved the shot of the rings with their picture in the background, and the glidecam shot of the guys' shoes. Good coloring throughout as well. I'd never heard that version of that song before; powerful stuff.
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great piece of work here. Some things that I really loved are the glidecam shots... I actually love that I can see your reflection in some of them. There is also a great shot of the couple by the piano with an awesome reflection in a mirror. Good work.

Only one part that bothered me and its very minor. You did a detailed shot of her gown, and you can tell that there is a fade in the middle. It almost makes it look like you went out of focus instead of fading. Not sure how to correct, but its a very minor detail that just stuck out.

I like too that you can hear the clapping at the end, but like Travis said already, just make it fade slower. Nice ending glidecam shot too! Thanks for sharing.
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Scott...nice work. I liked the speed changes on some of the flying shots. I bet the couple really liked it.
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Nope, but it does help to make sure you're active in commenting on other people's posted videos. There are a number of posted videos on the front page here and I don't think you've commented on any of them.
I comment on other people videos quite often and have done so recently... On Olegs and Shadow.. can't remeber the rest of the company name.. The only reason I said that was because Jmag had a sde up with the same date and his had a ton of feedback while mine had only one...
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Very well done. I'll bet it was a big hit at the reception. The only the that kind of struck me as off was the clapping at the end. I think maybe if you had faded it longer it would have been better. It seemed to fade out to abruptly.

I loved the shot of the rings with their picture in the background, and the glidecam shot of the guys' shoes. Good coloring throughout as well. I'd never heard that version of that song before; powerful stuff.
Thank you for watching and for the positive feedback. Yes I agree about the clapping...

That version of the song is from Moulin Rouge. I did also edit it to make it shorter.

Cheers,
Scott
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Brennan View Post
Great piece of work here. Some things that I really loved are the glidecam shots... I actually love that I can see your reflection in some of them. There is also a great shot of the couple by the piano with an awesome reflection in a mirror. Good work.

Only one part that bothered me and its very minor. You did a detailed shot of her gown, and you can tell that there is a fade in the middle. It almost makes it look like you went out of focus instead of fading. Not sure how to correct, but its a very minor detail that just stuck out.

I like too that you can hear the clapping at the end, but like Travis said already, just make it fade slower. Nice ending glidecam shot too! Thanks for sharing.
Yes, we (me and my partner) had a disagreement about the crossfade in the middle of the dress.... :S

I hate that I'm in those reflections but it seems like only videographers notice.. :)

thanks for taking the time to watch and for the feedback.

Cheers,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Shama; August 31st, 2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:43 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Scott!
I have some problems writing english (cause its artificial, I don't have native english speaking experience).. So I read more than write :)
But'll try to say some words..

Really impressed with some shots and ideas (shoes, topward shot with wineglasses, rings in front of the B&G picture....)
What to notice else.. Reflection is not so bad for most people you're right. Sometimes I leave my obvious reflection in a mirror for a second or half but only for a kind of documentary feature cause I'm a little part of this day too :) Maybe you could shoot backwards walking with glidecam to skip your reflection on groom/bride's glides. But anyways they look great!

Can't help mention very good matching of music and vidieo culmination. Maybe I would prefer to finish with church shot, but it's only imho..
As always impressed by the fact that its SDE!
Serge Satkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
I comment on other people videos quite often and have done so recently... On Olegs and Shadow.. can't remeber the rest of the company name.. The only reason I said that was because Jmag had a sde up with the same date and his had a ton of feedback while mine had only one...
Don't get me wrong, I know you comment on other videos, and that's great. I was only trying to make the point that when you came back and made your remark about the lack of comments in your thread, there were several other video threads going that you yourself had not made a comment in. So I just thought it made you look bad to be talking about how your thread didn't have comments when you hadn't taken the time to post comments in the other current threads.

As for JMag having lots of views and comments, that's pretty much the norm. He's kind of a superstar on here (like a few others), and their threads just get more attention than others. Don't let it bother you. d;-)
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Don't let it bother you. d;-)
It doesn't... I meant it as a joke... I thought it was funny that our threads were so similarly named (not intentional) yet his had a ton of replies and mine 1.

Scott
Old August 31st, 2008, 02:34 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
It doesn't... I meant it as a joke... I thought it was funny that our threads were so similarly named (not intentional) yet his had a ton of replies and mine 1.

Scott
Yeah, that's funny. I've been down that road before. Good luck on getting some more comments!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques