Flashbulbs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 27th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Major Player

Flashbulbs

I'm editing a wedding where the photographer boasted of shooting over 5,000 shots. I'm sure he did, because my footage is like staring into a strobe light. Is there a filter that can offset flashes by detecting their variance with normal brightness? I know their could never be a filter to remove the pre-shot laser grid on the bride's face.

Has anyone been successful working with wedding photographers on using more steady lighting and less grid-to-flash?
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Major Player

I can suggest a Deflicker option which is normaly used for timelapse type footage where the exposure can vary frame to frame but it may work on constant flashes going off, I haven't tried this before but figured something like a deflicker option might actually work.

I think FCP has a included plugin under filters and there is one for Premiere and VirtualDub.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post
I'm editing a wedding where the photographer boasted of shooting over 5,000 shots.
He might as well take a video instead...:-) It's like betting all the numbers on a roulette table.

Stelios
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Just be thankful you're using an FX1 Dana, and not a V1 or EX1 or Z7 with CMOS chips. Have you seen what the rolling shutter effect has on electronic flash? You get really nasty ½ or ¼ of the frame grossly over-exposed and it looks so unnatural.

It's one of the reasons I hang onto my Z1 for wedding shoots. The paparazzi fire away in the ceremony, cake cutting, dancing, speeches and so on, and a typical wedding film can contain 100 flashes, easy.

I rather like the effect if only because CCDs handle flash so nicely and the couple are 'in the spotlight'. I even ask the tog to fire more flashes at times to up the 'celebrity' status of the couple.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:50 AM   #5
Major Player

I guess that's true that sometimes it creates a nice effect. At this wedding my wife and I were both shooting and so one of us would get nailed by his flash. He had a double flash system where his camera would flash and his assistant would hold a flash that fired at the same time about 10ft away from him. He also had a video light umbrella on on the corner of the dance floor that blew several of my shots when I forgot about it.
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Dang, sounds like another job for the blowgun/monpod!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Major Player

Ooh, I never thought of a blowgun. I had always wanted a tazer, but thought it would be too much of a distraction. I squirt gun is nice, but a pain to stow. Hmm, I'll have to think on the blowgun.

Here's the video btw: Phoenix AZ Videography - HD Videographer in Scottsdale Arizona.
Old August 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm actually shooting a wedding in October with a photog that tries to compete with the videographer on how many frames per second he can shoot. I originally turned down this wedding and then the wedding planner said she would put the Vulcan mind meld on the guy if he tried that crap and the bride said she was prepared to kick him in the jewels as well. This is one of those rare instances where the video is costing more than the photo....woo hoo!!
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques