Stedicam vs Glidecam 4000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 30th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Stedicam vs Glidecam 4000

I have a couple Canon XH-A1's and the glidecam 4000 and I know it takes a lot of practice but wondering if it will ever compare to the stedicam?

I am just wondering if I should go ahead and make the switch and learn with the stedicam.

For the XH-A1, which stedicam would you recomend, if that is the better option.

Denny
Old August 30th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #2
Wrangler

For an in-depth look at the absolute best stabilizer for the A1, look no further than right here in the DVi articles section.

If you are looking to compare handheld versions, you would be looking between the 4000 and the Steadicam Merlin. I personally prefer the Merlin as it is easier to adjust balance, it's lighter and more precise. However it is possible to get very good shots with the Glidecam as well. The key to all of these is lots and lots of practice as you are aware. Most of the skill that you will learn operating the Glidecam is applicable to the Merlin as well, as the physics are the same.

Best of luck, let us know what you choose.
Old August 31st, 2008, 05:53 AM   #3
Major Player

If I had the money I would get a Steadicam flyer. But I dont so I have a glidecam but im very happy with it. No where near as good as charles.

I think a key difference is the glidecam smoothshooter is setup so the sled is directly infront of you while steadicams work to the side. The monitor on the bottom would be useful for seeing where Im going but having it up infront is more natual, also the FX1 has quite a large screen.

Its all about budget. I say get teh best you can afford, even if you have to stretch yourself. Its better than getting something sub-par your not happy with later.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques