College Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 3rd, 2008, 03:20 PM   #1
New Boot

College Video

I was wondering if anybody out there had a sample college admission dvd or tips. I am creating a dvd for my friend who plays volleyball. She wants to send it in to colleges and I'm not sure what they look at and how it should look. I know it should look professional, of course, just I have never done anything like this before. I'm just looking for some reference material that could help me out.

Thanks in advanced

-D
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM   #2
Major Player

We started doing this 3 years ago and are really pushing it this year. Volleyball seems to be the big sport that gets the most potential players looking to move up and play in college. There are some pretty specific things that the recruiters want to see on the dvd. Here's how ours are laid out. All of these are different chapters from the main menu .

1. player profile. This must include all of their volleyball stats, which any of the players should be able to provide to you. Things like jump, standing reach, height, their main position, etc.

2. skills. you'll want to tape them doing each skill a few times in a row so they can see their form for each part. hitting, serving, passing, etc.

3. highlights. This isn't as much of a big deal but I've included it in most of the ones we've done. Just some highlights mixed together of them playing in game situations.

4. full game footage. This is a must have. The recruiter wants to see the person playing in a full game. Watch how they react, play with the team, move around ,etc. Literally just setup the camera so you can see the whole court and let it run.

Just make sure at the beginning of any highlights or game footage you put what number they are and/ or their position so they can be looking for that specific person. Now also make sure that each DVD is labeled with their name, address and phone number. The recruiters don't want to search for it and want to see everything up front. Usually we'll just send in a little profile sheet or resume with the dvd so that also covers that information, but this way if the dvd gets separated from everything else, they still know everything they need to know about that person.

Most of the things I mentioned about where I ended with etc. etc...the player or players coach should know what aspects are important. For those, they will just need to inform you on what they want to show. I didn't know much about volleyball when we started but the recruiters had a great response to the videos so between you and the player and coach, you should be able to cover all the info.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:54 PM   #3
New Boot

Thank You so much, i was talking with the coach and the player, and the player's mother is big into volleyball and they didn't have much of an idea what to do, i mean they knew what they needed, but i didn't have a layout for the criteria. so thanks again and i will prolly have more ?'s thx

-D
Old September 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #4
New Boot

I'm just curious, what os are you working on?
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Major Player

All Dell Pc's...windows XP and Vista.
Old September 4th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #6
New Boot

ok, one more ?

Do you ever add music or to the highlights or the actual games. i wasn't planning, but just curious
Old September 4th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Hey Matt,
Additional sidebar,
What are you charging for these things, sounds like a lot of work. I'm doing my first football recruitung video now, and so far it is just raw footage of him playing. Good info.
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #8
New Boot

Hey Bill,

I'm in the same boat as you this is my first too. If you look at Matt's Public profile and go to his website there is a list of prices and what it is that they do for the priced packages. I prolly won't charge as much, since she is my friend.

i think it ranged up to 450 for the full package and then he was charging 15.00 for each extra DVD.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #9
New Boot

Yet another ?

Do you ever have a short interview with a coaches recommendation or do you just leave that in a letter?
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Hey Matt,
Additional sidebar,
What are you charging for these things, sounds like a lot of work. I'm doing my first football recruitung video now, and so far it is just raw footage of him playing. Good info.
Bill
It seems like a bunch of work , especially when we started doing it, but I've got it pretty streamlined and can do it pretty efficiently. You won't make a lot of money on each individual one so it's got to be efficient to make it worth it. WhenI'm shootingskills or full games, usually you can be taping for more than one person which helps a lot.

Check out the site to see what we're charging.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Morrison View Post
Yet another ?

Do you ever have a short interview with a coaches recommendation or do you just leave that in a letter?

I've never done anything like this with the coaches or players. I think I will do a little intro interview with some this year...just so they can introduce themselves on the video.
Old September 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Morrison View Post
ok, one more ?

Do you ever add music or to the highlights or the actual games. i wasn't planning, but just curious

I actually do add music under the skills and highlights. It flows better and gives it a little more energy. I keep it very low though ....don't want to take away from the video itself.
Full games I just leave as is.
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques