First Save the Date - Fun with M&M at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #1
Major Player

First Save the Date - Fun with M&M

Finally, we got our very first Save the Date booking(actually, two bookings came together). Yeah~~~~

We spend a Saturday to do the filming, one more day to edit and here comes our first Save the Date video~~~

Grace & Devin Save the Date on Vimeo

Although is was freezing while we film, we still had a lot of fun with the couple (plus M&Ms)

We would appreciate any comments from you guys!

Cheers!

S.C. Leung
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I thought it was pretty good and the couple was having fun. On the shot where she knocks on the window and he turns around all suprised, was that him "acting"? I only ask because they didn't look like they were told how to react or anything, but their reactions were just so dramatic and fun and entertaining. I find it hard to get couples to loosen up so I can get those types of reactions.

I'm also glad you clarified the M&M shot at the end with text that said the same thing. It's a bit hard to read the M&M's by themselves, although they look really good with all of the colors and the perfect layout. I also liked how the font matched the theme. I'm assuming that was a font and not you just creating letters from dots, right? d:-)

I feel like I've kind of started a trend with the "date reveal" style of save the date. I love the creativity you used for this one. The only thing I might have done differently is incorporate the M&M's earlier in the story somehow. Not necessary, but it might have made the video a bit stronger.

Anyways, very nice and thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it!
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Short and sweet! Cute couple, great intro graphics, sweet footage and a cool ending - I like it.

Not bad for a Kiwi ;)
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I liked it too. I loved the colors and the look of it. I think the music played well with the playfulness feel of the couple.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Thx Travis, Matthew and Shaun~

Travis: We told the couple to do a few reaction and that's the best one and the final text is font~~
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:44 AM   #6
Major Player

Awesome job. I liked everything about it. We're about to do our first Save the date (we'll be mixing it up with a love story) so should be really interesting, any tips that you found you learnt during the shooting for your first Save the Date?
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I feel like I've kind of started a trend with the "date reveal" style of save the date.
Indeed! :-) Great ideas get refined and adapted to new uses and new situations. Congrats on being a trend setter. :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung View Post
Finally, we got our very first Save the Date booking(actually, two bookings came together). Yeah~~~~
We spend a Saturday to do the filming, one more day to edit and here comes our first Save the Date video~~~
Grace & Devin Save the Date on Vimeo
Although is was freezing while we film, we still had a lot of fun with the couple (plus M&Ms)
We would appreciate any comments from you guys!
Cheers!
S.C. Leung
Fantastic! The length was perfect for grabbing the attention, showcasing the cute couple, and then teasing with the date. Any longer and you would have to have some extra plot devices to drive the need for longer footage. Any shorter and it would have been almost a waste of a shoot date.

I liked your use of DOF on the M&Ms and on other select shots. Very consistent color pallet and a lot of colors as well.

I liked the use of film "effects" to start things up but was glad to see that you did not use that for the entire shot. Just enough to get attention and then fade into the background and let the couple take the "visual" stage.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Indeed! :-) Great ideas get refined and adapted to new uses and new situations. Congrats on being a trend setter. :-)
Thanks. It's cool because I've always felt I'm on here just stalking all of these amazing videographers. It feels good to have contributed something of my own finally. d:-)
Old September 16th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I thought you did an awesome job, S.C., it was riveting! I loved it!
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #11
Major Player

LOVED it!!
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Szilveszter View Post
Awesome job. I liked everything about it. We're about to do our first Save the date (we'll be mixing it up with a love story) so should be really interesting, any tips that you found you learnt during the shooting for your first Save the Date?
From our experience, I would say go to a location you familiar with because you will spend a lot of time communicate with the couple during the shooting. You won't have much time to think about the location.

Also, think of some scene or act for the couple to do.
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:13 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thanks. It's cool because I've always felt I'm on here just stalking all of these amazing videographers. It feels good to have contributed something of my own finally. d:-)
You style of STD video really give us a direction to do our STD~
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung View Post
You style of STD video really give us a direction to do our STD~
That's awesome!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques