Wireless vs. MD For Weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 10th, 2003, 07:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Hi Mike,
Is your receiver portable and camera mountable?
I ask because some receivers will accept 2 different freqs but they are not exactly battery operated and camera mountable.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #17
Machinist Mate

Yep, it's portable and camera mountable. About 4"x3"x1" with a shoe mount, runs on a 9-volt battery. It's the Azden WR22-PRO, and it's what I use when I have to go battery-operated receiver. I prefer using my Shure Marcads whenever possible because of the better quality, but they need to be plugged into AC power. Plus the Shure receivers are kind of bulky (half-rack each), but they have some nice pro features.
Old November 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Oh,O.K. I use the 500UDR, can't use 2 xmitrs on 1 recevr but I like the unit a lot. Actually have 2 I use for weddings.
Don
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:51 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Great thread - keep it up!

I'm learning so much and I'm sure I'll have a few questions in regard to this thread. Keep it alive.
Dan Gutwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:03 PM   #20
Trustee

Mike,
I see that Azden unit is VHF. How's it been for you as far
as transmission distance, drop outs, and interference? I have
been looking at the UHF models but haven't seen any that
can work with two different transmitters.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:23 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dave,
I had VHF and finally about 3 years ago switched to UHF, VHF gave me migranes...dropouts,interference,static-do yourself a favor and get UHF, trust me, you won't be sorry.
Don
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #22
Machinist Mate

Dave,

my experience has been pretty much what Don is reporting: transmission distance, drop outs, and interference have left me pretty dissatisfied with VHF. In fact, I'm shopping for UHF now--looking at Sennheiser Evolution 100, Sony UWP-C1, etc. Would also consider Azden 500 series if the price was right.

I have tried Telex, Nady, Samson, A/T, Adzen and Shure VHF systems, the Shure being the best of the bunch (being a higher end model), but quite frankly I am all through fooling around with VHF for video production. I can continue to use them with my DJ system, where transmission flaws are less noticeable due to being camouflaged by the music.

Definitlely bite the bullet and get UHF. The money I've gone through on the previous attempts, I could have had two complete UHF kits. Sony & Senn both about $450 each at B&H. So for $900 you are done with the hassles.
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:32 PM   #23
Trustee

I know of one guy who got the Sony UWP who is not real happy with it. Specs list it at 60 dB S/N and Senn at 110 dB S/N. From what I understand the signal on the Sony is not real clean. I know he's been shopping for high end sensitive lavs in hopes that he won't have to turn the gain up so much and thereby keep the "noise" of the Sony system to a minimum. When I heard that,
it doesn't make me want to run right out and get the Sony even though I love the shoe mount.
Old November 14th, 2003, 12:01 PM   #24
Machinist Mate

Cheers, Dave.

That kind of pushes me right over to the Senn. Plus I like that they are a local company (Old Lyme, CT) with a reputation for being helpful.

110dB is great! (especially for digital which is inherently quiet)

As for the shoe mount, well I usually don't use that anyway cuz my shoe is usually occupied with the Frezzi, so I wind up Velcroing the receiver to the MA100 (and bracketing the TFT monitor to the tripod). That is, when I'm using a camera-mount receiver, sometimes I use a half-rack unit sitting near the tripod.

Your report is an example of why I like to demo things first to find out what they sound like before spending the $$. I would hate to pay all that and come to find I have to swap out the mic head.

thanx
m
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:59 PM   #25
Trustee

What's an MA100?
Most people with the Senn either hang it off the cam's strap or Vecro it to the battery.
Another system I've heard good word about is the AKG PR81/PT81. True diversity. I think around 100 dB S/N. If I'm not mistaken, one knock on it (and also the Samson 32 system) is that the channels are changed with the use of a small screwdriver. I think with the Senn you just flip a swith with your hand. You might want to consider the Senn ENG kit with the plug-in trasmitter *and* the body pack transmitter. Are you concerned at all that the Senn is not diversity?
One thing I have read over at a pro audio forum is that the mic that comes with the Sony system is not very good. I've heard that the Senn lav is alright.
Old November 15th, 2003, 10:07 AM   #26
Wrangler

The ME2 that comes with the Senn is quite good.

Don't worry about lack of diversity with the portable receiver on the Senn. You won't be missing it.
Old November 15th, 2003, 08:39 PM   #27
Machinist Mate

MA100= an accessory for the XL1 which screws on the bottom of the cam and plugs into the Audio 1 RCA jacks on the back. It is a combination shoulder pad and input adapter that has 2 XLR jacks on the back of it so you can plug in pro-type mic cables. It also has a small platform on the back with 3 threaded holes that you can use to attach a bracket for wireless mic receiver, external battery, etc.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques