Highlight clip to share at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Trustee

Highlight clip to share

Hey all,

Here's a highlight from a recent wedding. The groom is a photographer that I work with often. Great guy.

I don't usually produce highlights in this style, so it was fun to try something new. Would love to hear any feedback, so I know if I should try it again!

http://www.nosmallroles.com/andy_stef.mov

It's in H.264 format. Shot in HDV mode on my Z1.

Thanks!
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I love the opening shot with the house and the clouds very cool. Not too crazy about the font you chose here, i would've gone with a more classy font.

The car shot was well composed and looked so movie like it's unreal. The suite case scene which followed the car scene felt out of place, what were their meanings?

And lastly the moon shot was so clear and i didn't not see any noise at all, the blacks were pretty clean.

Job well done.

P.S. I personally think you did a good job with regards to the color correction, now lets see what you know who thinks about it. nudge nudge Travis. ;o)
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Color was great I thought, and I'm not just saying that. Only one shot seemed like it needed something more (the shot of the trees with the wind blowing). But everything else looked great.

Overall I loved the editing and the pace and the shot selection. I didn't like the "inset" video squares at the end, but that's just a personal thing. I've never liked that. In this case, though, I think it kind of broke the consistency of the edit that you had going.

Still, I really liked the piece. Nice work!

- oops, I forgot one thing. When the bride and groom were on their knees in the church and they were pointing and laughing about something, it went on just long enough that I really wanted to see what they were seeing. Now I understand that we can only shoot with so many cameras, so maybe you just weren't able to shoot what they were looking at. But I thought I'd point out that the length of that shot ended up making me want to see it too.
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
The car shot was well composed and looked so movie like it's unreal.
You mean the car in the mirror? That was actually coming out of the Ville Marie tunnel on the 720 west (I see you're in Montreal, too, so you probably know where I mean). You can see the lines of florescent lights on the ceiling. Something about the colour correction, and the inability to get it in focus in the mirror made it look cool.

Quote:
The suite case scene which followed the car scene felt out of place, what were their meanings?
Those are actually mini boxes that the groom had used to put gifts in for his groom's men. I know the shot doesn't mean much out of context, but it will to him.

Quote:
Job well done.

P.S. I personally think you did a good job with regards to the color correction, now lets see what you know who thinks about it. nudge nudge Travis. ;o)
Thanks, Carl. As you can see, Travis was pretty easy on me!

Maybe I'll run into you here sometime on a Saturday. Do you shoot weddings in Montreal?

Cheers,
Vito
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Color was great I thought, and I'm not just saying that
Holy cow, Travis! I've got you down to one shot! One day I'll post something and you'll like the colour in every shot. It's become my dream.

Quote:
Now I understand that we can only shoot with so many cameras
Or one, in my case...

Quote:
so maybe you just weren't able to shoot what they were looking at. But I thought I'd point out that the length of that shot ended up making me want to see it too.
You know, I originally had that shot much shorter, but it just made me smile to see it long, so I figured I should leave it like that. I never did actually see what they were watching, but it must have been good.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Always much appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques