When a Good Shot Shows Too Much - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Trustee

Just out of mild curiosity, has anyone had a similar problem with a gentleman wearing a kilt?
That could be a difficult situation.
(NOT a cue for all of these "What-is-worn-under-a -Scotsman's-kilt" type jokes).
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I hear what you're saying, but I have to disagree. ...That puts me in the position of saying that I knew of the issue and just left it in .. if they come talk to me about it .. or I end up in the situation where they say nothing to me, but tell other people about my "blunder". Neither of those is a situation I want to be in.

So these are the reasons why it is a "big deal". I hope I've made sense of things.
I can respect your position, but as someone who came of age in the 60's, my milleu would consider it "cute" rather than "disrespectful", not at all a big deal. 'Course I didn't consider Janice Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" to be a big deal either, certainly nothing anyone should take offense at or get upset over at so I guess that reveals MY mindset! <ROFL>.
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
I can respect your position, but as someone who came of age in the 60's, my milleu would consider it "cute" rather than "disrespectful", not at all a big deal. 'Course I didn't consider Janice Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" to be a big deal either, certainly nothing anyone should take offense at or get upset over at so I guess that reveals MY mindset! <ROFL>.
That's the trick with weddings. You sometimes have to guess what the couple would want you to do based on your evaluation of the type of people they are and who they might want to show the video to.

This is why I usually put this kind of stuff in the deleted scenes, because the couple can easily just choose to not show that to someone else. But the highlights video is designed specifically for them to share with others, and it gets posted online as well. So in this case I also had to start thinking about OTHER people seeing the clip and perhaps catching the "flash" and then making judgements on my work. I could potentially lose a future client (perhaps even this girl who caught the bouquet - she IS single you know) because of something simple like this.

So for me, it wasn't a big deal really. I simply saw it as an accident and it was slightly humorous, but I had to consider how others would view it too. That's what prompted the solution hunt.
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM   #19
Still Motion

I am going to echo what Steve said- what is the fuss about? I mean, for 6 frames where you see some underwear at a reception with people dancing and what not, I can't see why you would even give it a second thought. Even IF it did get sent back to you, which I see as being slim to none in terms of chances, you could then go through this whole process of finding the best way to fix it.

To me, your solution makes the product worse just to cover up something that wouldn't have been a big deal in the first place. So, if you had left it as-is and invested all this time posting here and trying to fix this into working on the grading of the piece, cleaning your audio, better storytelling etc imagine how much stronger overall it could be- all because of a couple frames of underwear...

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Well, in slow motion it actually goes on for 12 frames, lol. d;-)

As for fixing it later, that actually requires much more work in terms of potentially re-loading the project, re-compressing, re-creating the DVD, new DVD production, etc. As it was, the actual "fix" only took me like 2 minutes. So not much time was required and I see it as avoiding a potential issue with the client.

On the other hand ... I just consulted with my wife on the matter and she apparently doesn't think I should have worried about fixing this either. So maybe I just over-reacted on behalf of this girl. Either way, it only took a few minutes to fix so it's a definite non-issue for me now. Better safe than sorry, right?
Old September 19th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quick sidebar: in reference to an F-bomb, if I felt I NEEDED to remove one, given the target audience, I would go for the "interval of silence" culled from elsewhere in the speech, rather than the very distracting "BEEEEP". Just a little more subtle.

Anecdote: British Black Metal band Venom once did a radio interview where the censor was a little late on the "beep" and got us wondering: in a statement that included "F-ing BEEEEEEP", what was worse than F-ing to get the beep? It has made for many years of good-natured speculation, usually over a pint of BEEEEEP!
Old September 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM   #22
Major Player

Shaun, hey i hadn't though of the 'interval of silence'...that's a good suggestion actually...if it happens again, and i'm not sure how the bleep, or non-bleep, will go then i'll go for that, cheers
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques