Working for "the pros"- your thoughts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Working for "the pros"- your thoughts

"The Pros"- a nation wide company contracting Djs, Photgraphers and Videographers. They sell the package you just shoot, ship the tapes (they edit) and get paid.
The Pros- DJ, Video & Photography Wedding Services

I've heard some people think of "the pros" as the anti-christ. Only from photographers tho. So I want your thoughts and opinions...
I have a photographer tell me a horror story on how they make you sign a contract that basically takes your name and continues to use your portfolio and name for advertising purposes long after you've become successful. Therefore competing with yourself on Google and other search engines searches with your name.

Here are my thoughts:
Pros to working with them:
-Keeps me going until I can book full time
-Gives me more experience in filming weddings (which I think I REALLY need)
-gets me some extra dough

Cons for working with them:
-Its a bunch of work for little pay
-the risk of them "using my name" for marketing proposes long after I become a popular videographer in the area ;)

Any experience with them? Heard of any stories? Any advice? Would you do it?

Cheers!
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Never heard of these guys. But I've always thought that if you were going to work for "very little or nothing", it's best to do it for yourself. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Wrangler

Mary, I would encourage you to research this and obtain factual information about their contract obligations. DVINFO strives to put out factual information and just having someone 'tell' you a horror story or put negative labels on the company may have some personal bias involved.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Mary,
Let me offer an alternative suggestion. There must be a succesful company in your area that needs second shooters. I would look for someone I could mentor with in a way until your stuff takes off. Be upfront with them and absorb the thigns you like and don't like, etc. Good luck.
Bill
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston
"Mary, I would encourage you to research this and obtain factual information about their contract obligations. DVINFO strives to put out factual information and just having someone 'tell' you a horror story or put negative labels on the company may have some personal bias involved."
I'd rather know someones personal history with a company (both good and bad) than a bunch of "factual information" (whatever that is?).

What's better than first-hand accounts?

Last edited by Greg Boston; September 21st, 2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: repaired quote
Aaron Mayberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:38 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
"I'd rather know someones personal history with a company (both good and bad) than a bunch of "factual information" (whatever that is?).

What's better than first-hand accounts?
Exactly. I was asking Mary to post "her" first hand accounts rather than post information (somewhat derogatory at that), based on "other" people's accounts. Because she named names (the company), the site can be held liable and I'll let you talk to Chris Hurd about his feelings on that.

regards,

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Angelini View Post
Here are my thoughts:

-the risk of them "using my name" for marketing proposes long after I become a popular videographer in the area ;)

Cheers!
Mary I know of one videographer in MD that works for them. This year has been tough for his business. He decided to work for them and he says it's a steady check though not much and it's better than nothing. Shoot and mail the tapes. You are contracted per job I believe. If you need the work do it, if not build your business. Also understand that you're shooting for a company who booked the job all you do is receive the call and go and shoot for them. They have ownership, copyright of the material you shoot for them for what they pay you. If you feel your worth more then don't take the job. They have every right to use the footage and or pictures in their portfolio after jobs are done because they have the contract and you were contracted. If you don't like the concept then you know it's not a job for you. Hope this helps

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Wrangler

Ditto to what Greg said...It's wise to exercise a little prudence in how you characterize another company, especially one that may be positioned to provide you with some work...

Any production company that asks you to do work for hire will request the ownership of the copyright, including the right to use your work to promote their production company. That's normal. It's nothing extraordinary...there's no need to make it sound as if something is fishy or exploitative about this...

You're a hired gun. You're not a producer. If you want to be a producer, then you need to take on a producer's jobs, which includes sales and marketing.

If you back out the time that most one-man band freelancers spend on marketing and sales from the final price, then they're not typically making a ton of money either.

Just to shift your perspective on this a little...
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Angelini View Post
"The Pros"- a nation wide company contracting Djs, Photgraphers and Videographers. They sell the package you just shoot, ship the tapes (they edit) and get paid.
The Pros- DJ, Video & Photography Wedding Services

I've heard some people think of "the pros" as the anti-christ. Only from photographers tho. So I want your thoughts and opinions...
I have a photographer tell me a horror story on how they make you sign a contract that basically takes your name and continues to use your portfolio and name for advertising purposes long after you've become successful. Therefore competing with yourself on Google and other search engines searches with your name.

Here are my thoughts:

Cheers!
H Mary,

I have talked with a videographer in NY who has worked for the pros for a few years. If they were terrible to work for I don't think she would have continued to work for them. Are there ways to make more money, yes. Is it better than sitting at home and making nothing, that's your decision.

I do not know how much they pay, but I do know that their productions are priced relatively low, so you could probably make more money working for a local video production company who does higher priced work.

I would check out the Orlando area video association. PVCF Professional Videographers of Central Florida - Wedding Corporate Events
You may be able to find more favorable working conditions there, but if not, at least you will be able to make a more informed decision.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 08:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Exactly. I was asking Mary to post "her" first hand accounts rather than post information (somewhat derogatory at that), based on "other" people's accounts. Because she named names (the company), the site can be held liable and I'll let you talk to Chris Hurd about his feelings on that.

regards,

-gb-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
Ditto to what Greg said...It's wise to exercise a little prudence in how you characterize another company, especially one that may be positioned to provide you with some work...
I referred to the only opinion I have heard thus far, and I did specify this is an opinion from a photographer, but not my own. I do not feel that my post was derogatory. Rather, I spoke candidly about opinions I have heard from another.

Please edit or take down my post if I have put DVINFO in any sort of liability. This was not my intention, nor was it to tarnish another companies name.

I assumed this was a safe venue for videographers to discuss freely about their personal experiences and I felt that naming the company was a necessary part in receiving responses to make a informed (and balanced) opinion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques