Wedding Video using Sony EX-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Video using Sony EX-1

Comments welcome....
Edited with Vegas 8 Pro
and MBL. no stabilizers used..

www.vimeo.com/1775901
Ricci Ocampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Well done, nice and steady compositions

As far as editing I think too many of the same shots types, for a highlight its good if you can mix it up with some different things that are happening during the day or at least different shot types or actions but otherwise the edit flows well.

thanks for sharing.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Ricci,
This looks very good. The consistency of colors and exposure is great. My personal feeling is the constant slow motion brings the pace way down. I also agree with trying to vary your shots a little more. I also like story line to go along with the pretty pictures. What was happening? Who are these people? How did they get here? etc. Looks great though. Thanks for sharing.
Bill
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks peter for the comment

[QUOTE=Peter Szilveszter;942075]Well done, nice and steady compositions

As far as editing I think too many of the same shots types, for a highlight its good if you can mix it up with some different things that are happening during the day or at least different shot types or actions but otherwise the edit flows well.

thanks for sharing

Thanks
This is actually the second part of the highlights. And that your right too many same shots,
I just can't resist not putting them all.. But I will do better next time.
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Ricci,
This looks very good. The consistency of colors and exposure is great. My personal feeling is the constant slow motion brings the pace way down. I also agree with trying to vary your shots a little more. I also like story line to go along with the pretty pictures. What was happening? Who are these people? How did they get here? etc. Looks great though. Thanks for sharing.
Bill
thanks
Will try to do that too..
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #6
Inner Circle

First, great work with the color and exposure. The piece is consistent from start to finish.

I have some of the same comments as others, however. Way too much slow motion for my taste and far too many of the same shots at the same location.

In addition, you have a number of static shots that would look better if shot from a tripod (like the two opening shots for example). You can see shake in the shot and it detracts from the visual. Same goes for most of the motion shots. They are well done considering you didn't have a stabilizer, but there is a reason people use stabilizers. The reason is that although you did a great job, you can still see some awkward movements and some shake. This detracts from the purpose of that type of moving shot. Even though you executed the moving shots better than many people could, the fact that you can still see shake and bounce takes away from the visual.

I also noticed many shots that started static, and then partway through the shot you started zooming out. First, I personally would avoid zooming shots most of the time, but that's my style. However, starting a zoom partway into a shot is just distracting in my opinion. Either cut the shot before the zoom starts, or start the shot after the zoom has started. Don't mix the two.

Lastly, I think you tried to use motion shots too much. The video is just screaming for some solid, static close-up shots of faces or the rings or them holding hands, etc. It's important to mix things up I think.

Oh, one more thing, definitely be willing to leave good shots on the cutting room floor. I have to do this with every wedding I edit. There are always shots that I am very proud of and wish I could use, but I will leave them out for the sake of a better overall edit.

I hope all of this helps. Again, your handheld moving shots are top-notch for what they are.
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

many thanks travis for a well laid out comments and advice

Well the first two opening clips was shot at the observatory the day before the wedding by which the security guard doesn't want me to use a tripod. I have my tripod with me at the time and so is the guard that keep staring at me. I was using my EX 1 with Letus extreme and that you know how heavy that is to handheld., so having a steady shot is impossible.

After the wedding we went to a city hall in a limo with the bride and groom. My wife was driving the car that has my steadycam merlin but she got caught in a traffic and got there late and also I forgot to tell her to bring that bag. So again gotta do what you do. So I did slowmo it down through the camera setting to get a little steady with shots.

This music video is actually a bonus segment for I have already made a highlight video. I will be posting it later on.

But any way things happen and just do the best you can, so I thank you for the comments. I learned some valuable lessons with it
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci Ocampos View Post
Well the first two opening clips was shot at the observatory the day before the wedding by which the security guard doesn't want me to use a tripod. I have my tripod with me at the time and so is the guard that keep staring at me. I was using my EX 1 with Letus extreme and that you know how heavy that is to handheld., so having a steady shot is impossible.
Well, there you go. Sometimes you don't have any choice and you just do the best you can. Although maybe you could have taken out the security guard with the tripod when he wasn't looking? Depends on how solid your sticks are. d;-)

Quote:
After the wedding we went to a city hall in a limo with the bride and groom. My wife was driving the car that has my steadycam merlin but she got caught in a traffic and got there late and also I forgot to tell her to bring that bag. So again gotta do what you do. So I did slowmo it down through the camera setting to get a little steady with shots.
Again, you did what you could considering you were missing some equipment. On that note, I thought the EX1 was too heavy for a Merlin. Am I wrong?

I would say that if I got into a shoot and realized I was missing my Merlin I would probably just alter my shot selection and not do nearly as many "motion" shots. As it was I think you had too many motion shots anyways, so maybe that will help next time.

Quote:
But any way things happen and just do the best you can, so I thank you for the comments. I learned some valuable lessons with it
No problem. Thanks for receiving them as help. I try to help.
Old September 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

a few more response

travis,

i was actually staring at my tripod and looking at the security guard *thinking and wondering if * on second thought a cellmate staring at me in jail, i dont think so...

with merlin,,, i bought an extra weight (2) to balance it with my EX-1....
and also i bought that DV sportster arm and vest to help me with the overall weight..

thanks again....
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
with merlin,,, i bought an extra weight (2) to balance it with my EX-1....
and also i bought that DV sportster arm and vest to help me with the overall weight.
Oh, I thought the Merlin gimble was only rated for 5lbs, and the A1 already pushes that.
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

opps

maybe so... for i really didnt read the merlins manual......but anyway it works...i used 7 weights for bottom and 2.5 weights middle(not sure if this is exact but i will confirm it this friday). i have used the merlin and ex1 at church wedding for an hour, so far it was holding up pretty good...right now my letus extreme is attached to ex-1 but i will be using ex1 this weekend for a love story video using merlin stabilizer..
but, if what you said is true, the risk of damaging the gimble and eventually break loose of the camera, not a good idea,,,if thats the case i will probably be using my xh a1 for merlin,,,...
Old September 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Yeah, you might want to check. I'm pretty sure the gimbal was rated for 5lbs. I was worried because my A1 is close to that weight without any accessories attached, so now I fly my Merlin naked just to be safe. d;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques