Who gets the Album? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 3rd, 2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Who gets the Album?

This has got to be a record. I shot a wedding last August, I mailed the Bride their Digital Negatives and told her the video & wedding album would be finished in 6-8 weeks. Last night the Groom called me asking where the negatives are, I told him I already mailed the negatives a few weeks ago. He was pissed and told me that he should get the negatives and not the bride, no video, no album should be given to the bride as their situiation has changed. Bride called me a few minutes later and told me everything goes to her. I never asked why but I assume they have parted ways.

I can give both of them their DVD copies, but who gets the wedding album? I am in a tug of war right now.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Major Player

WOW! That's a sticky one! Bigger question: Why would either WANT the album/video?!?
Kelsey Emuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:12 AM   #3
Major Player

Did ONE of them actually pay you (i.e. ONE of their names on a cheque/bank transfer?) If so...
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey Emuss View Post
WOW! That's a sticky one! Bigger question: Why would either WANT the album/video?!?
I don't know why. Could be a power play who gets to burn what.

Last edited by Noel Lising; October 3rd, 2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: grammar
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer View Post
Did ONE of them actually pay you (i.e. ONE of their names on a cheque/bank transfer?) If so...
They paid cash and both shared expenses. All the while I thought they are in their honeymoon as the Bride is calling from the States.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM   #6
Inner Circle

you split everything in 2 and send half to each.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
you split everything in 2 and send half to each.
I can't split the album, they ordered the Coffee Book Style album (mounted/laminated). Anyway I sent them an encouraging email, maybe they'll resolve the matter in due time.

I am in the middle of this. Tell her to call me, tell him to call me.

I am thankful I changed my payment scheme this season otherwise I won't be getting paid on this one.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Whomever you decide to deliver the album to, I would make sure you ship with some type of signature confirmation so that the party that does not receive the album doesn't try to demand a refund for not receiving what they paid for. Then at least you're covered in delivering what you promised. Also, if there was an address for the B&G in the contract I would stick with shipping it to that location so that it all looks good on paper from your side.
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #9
Major Player

I've been in this situation twice before. Here is what I've learnt.

DO NOT bust your guts worrying and trying to "do the right thing".

You are probably not dealing with fair and reasonable people so don't expect fair and reasonable discussions or decisions out of them. They can't even hold their marriage together for 5 minutes let alone give some lowly photographer/videographer any respect or courtesy.

I would send them a semi-legal sounding letter (clear and to the point) stating that there is "obviously some conflict as to ownership of property. In these circumstances I cannot get involved personally for legal reasons. You need to come to an agreement between yourselves - perhaps nominate a 3rd party to which the goods should be delivered so that I can fulfill me side of the contract. This request needs to be signed by the pair of you so that I am not dragged into your conflict. I will NOT release the album to either of you without the others full written permission... please do not request this in future correspondence to me. I hope you can work together to resolve this situation."

This worked like a charm for me. Although once the groom turned around and started emailing me back with "Please can I pick this up" etc.... so I gave him the old classic... "Please read my original email. Any further correspondence regarding this matter will need to be through my legal respresentative xxx xxx if it cannot be resolved as stated."

Mate - remember, I've filmed several hundred weddings over 20 years - it's purely a numbers game. I've been so lucky to meet hundreds of awesome couples. But sooner or later you'll meet a couple of real pricks. Don't take it personally... but don't get pushed around.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

For me this would be a simple answer. Who signed the contract? That's who gets the product.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have had 2 couples so far (that I know of) that got separated just a few months after they got married, that's one of the reasons why I (try to) keep my backlog limited to max 2 months. I always ask for a deposit in advance and they have to pay the rest in cash when I deliver. I know this is a risk but I expect (hope) nobody to get separated in the first 2 months.
If I would get in the same situation as described above I would look, as Travis pointed out, who signed the contract and settle the delivery and payment with that person. If both signed I would just pick one person but would ask that person to sign a paper that they have received everything .
If I would then get an angry phonecall from the other person I couldn't care less, I took my responsibility, now it's time they took theirs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I agree with John. Don't send to either until they both come to a mutual agreement.
Old October 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I have had 2 couples so far (that I know of) that got separated just a few months after they got married, that's one of the reasons why I (try to) keep my backlog limited to max 2 months. I always ask for a deposit in advance and they have to pay the rest in cash when I deliver. I know this is a risk but I expect (hope) nobody to get separated in the first 2 months.
If I would get in the same situation as described above I would look, as Travis pointed out, who signed the contract and settle the delivery and payment with that person. If both signed I would just pick one person but would ask that person to sign a paper that they have received everything .
If I would then get an angry phonecall from the other person I couldn't care less, I took my responsibility, now it's time they took theirs.
If you have a contract where both individuals sign then I wouldn't just pick one of them to give the product to. I would ask them to work things out first. However, I think it's a really bad idea to have two people signing the contract.
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I would ask them to work things out first.
Well, I'm a videographer and not a marriage counselor :) so their personal problems are not mine. About 2 persons signing a contract, here this legally doesn't make any difference but in most cases just one signs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Well, I'm a videographer and not a marriage counselor :) so their personal problems are not mine. About 2 persons signing a contract, here this legally doesn't make any difference but in most cases just one signs.
My point was that if your contract has 2 people signing it, then you have a responsibility to BOTH people .. which is why I would strongly recommend against doing that. You may not be a marriage counselor, but if your contract has you connected with both parties, then unfortunately you've put yourself in the middle of the drama.

Maybe it's different where you live, but I'm pretty sure that having 2 names on the contract would really complicate things here in a situation like this.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques