Craigslist at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Craigslist

What kind of experiences have people had posting on Craigslist? It's an easy way to advertise, but I have heard from different people (not wedding video related) who have had problems with people who respond to them after putting a listing on it.
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The only problem with Criagslist, is it's not a wedding site. It's an everything under the sun site. You might as well put your ad in the penny saver. The only way I see it working is if you are doing really dirt cheap wedding vids and making money on bulk sales.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I haven't done this myself, but my initial thought is that any bride who is looking for a videographer on Craigslist is looking for something REALLY cheap .. and that's not me. So I think it might work for the inexpensive "wedding factory" type videographer, but not for anyone providing a better quality product and charging higher rates.
Old October 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I post a lot of ads on kijiji.ca which is basically the same thing, just better organized and slightly for profit. It's actually very well used here, and there's a very well used weddings and photo/video sections; usually about >20 posts a day.

I've gotten quite a few bookings through kijiji.ca, the latest this week was for my top package. You do get a few people looking for a 'deal' but you can weed them out pretty easily. They're usually scared off as soon as they see the prices. Although I constantly get emails asking the prices rather than clicking the link to my website.

T
Tim Gilbertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:07 AM   #5
Major Player

I agree that you probably won't get much of anything from craigslist. Although, if you're looking for seconds shooters and help , it's a good place to advertise and has worked well for me in the past.

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:42 AM   #6
Major Player

Morning. I don't advertise on Craiglist but I do check out couples looking for student photogs/videographers. I send out my info and tells them the pros & cons of using amateurs. Pros being (it dirt cheap), cons ( you have no contract, etc, etc). I have booked 2 wedding so far from clients looking for student photogs/videographers. One even ended up getting our premium package after seeing our samples & albums.

Here's a hint: There's one listing in Toronto looking for a Videographer who shoots like Still Motion. Good luck with that. LOL
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #7
Trustee

We have advertised on Craigslist in the past (not for weddings, but for other services we offer) and we probably won't do it again. Why? Because in general, people on Craigslist are looking for a bargain. The customers we've gotten off Craigslist were not so great to work with.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #8
Major Player

I use craigslist... i'm happy with it. I guess it depends what kind of "shooter" you are.
Me personally, i'm the cheap guy that everyone probably hates. I'm confident that i do good work and that the B&G are happy with their final product.
I'm simply not the guy for the job if the couple is looking for all the cons that Noel spoke of.
Which makes me happy "less stress", after-all this doesn't pay my bills.
So, If this is part time... why not post on craigslist and maybe post a link to your site. After all it pulls up on google, unlike my site for some reason :-(
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques