What purchases would you not trade for the world? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 24th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Major Player

Century Optic .7x wide angle lens
Lite Panels Mini
3 Sony Battery chargers
iPhone
Dr. Scholls comfort pads for my shoes!
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
You can have all the web and html you want. I'll gladly let someone else do that for me.
It's tempting to give it up! Especially days like today when I can't get my dad-gummed jpegs to load!

Last edited by Miraj A. Berry; October 24th, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #18
Trustee

web is absolutely maddening. you couldn't pay me enough money to be become a web designer.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #19
Major Player

This is shameless self promotion, but I genuinely/honestly LOVE my Glidetrack. It takes up no space in my boot, and just gives me great shots really quickly. i.e.

Achaglachgach House in Argyll on Vimeo

Only difference is. I will happily trade you one, but for less than the world!

And....with the pound having slumped, this is a great time to buy, as the exchange rates are in your favour.

Last edited by Alastair Brown; October 24th, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #20
Major Player

SatNav

Glidetrack

Fisheye Lens + Glidecam

iPod Micromemo

Litepanels Micro

Business Cards
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:04 AM   #21
Regular Crew

A spare set of car keys.

I'd hate to screw up a wedding (or break my window) just because I locked myself out of my car.
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Moreno View Post
A spare set of car keys.

I'd hate to screw up a wedding (or break my window) just because I locked myself out of my car.

Well Said! I had a moment of panic on Sat until I remembered I had put them in my jacket pocket that I had taken off.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #23
Major Player

Dr Sholls AND gels
My Mac
Quick keys
RODE Mics
H2 Zooms for lav audio. Bye, bye wireless interference.
A contract that includes us being fed. ;o)

I've got the Glidetrack on my Christmas list.
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #24
Regular Crew

-Something simple but by far my leather man tool
(I even used it once to straiten DVI pins that where bent, saved my a$$ that day)

-Olympus PVR

-My Steadicam

-The internet, this forum for one. Just imagine operating now day without the internet...

P.S. Good thread by the way.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #25
Inner Circle

High-end laptop for mobile editing (I rarely use my desktop computer these days).

Sennheiser G2 wireless microphones (much clearer than cheaper alternatives).

Taiyo Yuden "watershield" hub-printable DVDs.

Bogen monopod with the 678 "folding base" legs on the bottom.

Multi-cam editing tool.

Bescor 6V lighting kit to replace heavier 12V setup.

Sony FP970 batteries - shoot a whole wedding without recharging or swapping.

HD video cameras (even if you just use the widescreen SD mode).

Ditto on the GPS.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I thought it might be fun to bump this thread. It's less that two years since it started. Now, it Dec 2009/Jan 2010, what purchases would you not trade for the world?

Last edited by William Smyth; December 26th, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
William Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #27
Major Player

I take a medium sized toolbox with me to every shoot that is full of lots of little odds and ends that have gotten me out of a number of jams... among these items you'll find numerous a/v adapters (1/4" to XLR, XLR to 1/4", RCA to 1/8", 1/8th" to 1/4", Gender Changers, etc... extra earphones, extra XLR cable, small tool set, extras batteries of every kind, duct tape, bottle of asprin, bandaids, a $20 bill, etc.) I spent about $50 bucks total and you wouldn't believe how many times something in there has saved my butt.... more often it has saved another vendor (usually the DJ) which has been a great way to leave other vendors with good impressions. Once at a wedding they where getting ready for the toast when they realized that no-one had a bottle opener to open the 20+ bottles... lucky for them I had a swiss army knife with one on it in my toolbox. You can believe the client was impressed AND grateful! Do yourself a favor and spend $25 at radioshack getting adapters and such and another $25 at the hardware store, it will be well worth it when you save a $3000 (for me at least) gig with a $5 dollar adapter because your Lav Mic took a dump and it's too late to grab another before the wedding ceremony starts!!!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #28
Major Player

I won't be creative and just say - GPS!!!

That little thing saved me (and whole bridal party) so many times. I cannot imagine how so many limo drivers still don't use one. Then they come to me crying for help.

Related question - my TomTom is 4 yrs old - time to upgrade. Any suggestions in mid-range market?
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #29
Major Player

Most recently I'd have to say my Pluralize software, which has saved me HOURS of lining up 7D clips to my A1 timeline in FCP. Simply. Amazing. Software. For anyone who has multiple video and audio sources, it is a must. And no, I'm not a Pluralize rep, either! :)

Also I want to add my humble Canon HF20 videocam to this list. I bought it about a year or so ago (before I got into this crazy biz) to dip my toe into the waters of HD recording and editing. It was never meant to go with me on shoots. However, this little beast of a camera records some of the most beautiful outdoor footage - it's really just incredible. In low light, not so much. But for normal shooting I use it as a 3rd cam/backup cam and it always surprises me how fantastic it looks with no tweaking at all - and it's less than $1K. Love it!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #30
Major Player

I had a fun time reading this thread the first time around....

I would say that everything that I use on wedding day is priceless for the shoot. From the digital recorders, tripods, external lighting... If I was to forget one aspect of my gear I probably wouldn't be happy with the outcome of the product.

If I was to narrow it down to my two favorite pieces;

Zaza Slider - I just built this a few weeks ago and even-though I haven't used it for a wedding day yet. I can tell it's going to give me the results that I was desperately looking for. Cant wait to bust it out!

Remote lights - I actually built this following the same principles as the guy who developed the reception lighting. I have 2 50W lights on separate stands operated wirelessly. There not to bright and can put them out of the way.... The best thing about them is no more people telling me how bright my video light is and then turning away :-)

steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques