The Greek way. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 18th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Trustee

The Greek way.

Hi
What do you think about this clip I did of a Greek wedding I've done last weekend?

YouTube - Neda and Demetris Wedding

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; October 18th, 2008 at 04:15 PM.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Opinion deleted...I was too harsh, so this message is all that's left.

Work on composition, transitions and framing. Aquire a smoother camera motion as well.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Stelios - thanks for sharing.

I think what would really make it rock is if you edited to the music better. It seems like a bunch of video clips with a song slapped over the top. If you lay the music down first and edit to the beats, eg: changing scenes on every 4th or 8th beat, being consistant with transitiions, it would give it more ommpf. Hope that helps?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
Hi Stelios - thanks for sharing.

I think what would really make it rock is if you edited to the music better. It seems like a bunch of video clips with a song slapped over the top. If you lay the music down first and edit to the beats, eg: changing scenes on every 4th or 8th beat, being consistant with transitiions, it would give it more ommpf. Hope that helps?
Thank you guys with your suggestions. After all that is why we are here.

Stelios
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:36 AM   #5
Major Player

hi stelios can I ask what camera was used as there seams to be partial exposures on the flash from the Photographer or is this due to the slow motion that makes it look more obvious.
Just wondered if it was a camera with a CMOS chip ..cheers john
John Estcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

It was obvious that it was a CMOS and exhibited the rolling shutter with flash effect... not good footage to slo mo...

I noticed that as well, along with the not so rhythmic cuts, a couple cuts that just were too long and had framing that was odd or didn't seem to add any meaning to the shot.

I know how hard it is to select and cut footage (editing is another complete discipline unto itself... and why are we underpaid again?), but particularly in a short trailer, EVERY shot should add to the excitement and anticipation, you don't have the time to build emotion or allow for deep thought...

Watch a few movie trailers - most of the time you can't even figure out the actual overall plot or emphasis of the movie - they select a series of quick snippets (some never even make the movie itself, anyone else notice that?) that are designed to make you want to see more... the goal is to build excitement, not "emotion"

MAYBE in a highlight you could build some intensity and emotion, and I think that was what the OP was working towards, but it wasn't consistent or focused enough to pull the viewer into the moments. It's not easy to do, so this isn't meant to be a "expert critique", just an informed observer observing...

On the plus side, nice intro and outro, added a professional vibe, and some good shots to be sure, just not cut and edited in a way that built to the desired end.

Stelios, hope that's helpful, sorry if it's a bit vague, but after watching what others are doing, I'm seeing what "works" and what doesn't a bit more clearly, still trying to apply it myself, so take this as constructive observation!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 04:57 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
hi stelios can I ask what camera was used as there seams to be partial exposures on the flash from the Photographer or is this due to the slow motion that makes it look more obvious.
Just wondered if it was a camera with a CMOS chip ..cheers john
John
It was partial exposures because of the flash of the photographer. He couldn't stop...and another thing he was disturbing the wedding by interfering with everything to the point that he spoilt the actual event and some of the quests got very annoyed by him.
The camera used is the FX7.

Dave
Thanks for the very constructive critique. I did this clip in a rush as the couple wanted it to take it on their honeymoon the next day (to show to some relatives in Australia) but there is no excuse i must do better in editing.

Stelios
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #8
Inner Circle

For an "instant edit", it looked pretty good <wink>. That puts an entirely different spin on things.

I'm working toward shorter edit turn times, but I always do a rough cut and then come back and tweak the living daylights out of it before ANYONE else sees it...

Having shot the FX7 and used CMOS cameras for quite a while now, I'd say those RS/flash issues were far more severe than I've come to expect - I'm presuming that there's some "slo-mo" in those clips making the effect more distracting? Or a camera setting?

That photog must have really been over the top - been lucky to never have worked with one like that... it's bizzare to me that someone who is there to capture the event would be so pushy as to destroy the atmosphere. Yes, you should thoughtfully offer creative input and guidance where possible to get the best result for the client, but ultimately the closer you are to invisible, the better in my book, except for the "formal" shoot.

The cast of characters a wedding brings out never ceases to amaze me - just did a shoot where a 3-4 year old became deeply enamoured of one of my tripods (fortunately wth a multicam setup, nothing was lost, but...) I was rotating around to adjust the zoom as I had carefully preset and preplanned only to find the li'l guy hanging onto the pod, and dad holding onto it (at least he was thoughtful to not let it get knocked over), and asking "is it on?"... sigh... yup... Dad carried him off...

Roll with the changes, readjust the framing and zoom - rest of the ceremony was perfect, but editing out the li'l fellows (audio) displeasure with parting from his new friend "the pod" was a bit interesting to say the least! Ah, the joys of live event shooting...

Actually spent a little time with the li'l guy right after the ceremony (he was STILL fascinated by that tripod!! Watching the legs collapse made him pie-eyed!), hopefully I introduced him to the joys of video and photography, and he'll have a very expensive hobby in the near future <wink>!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques