Need website help -- again -- no where else to turn. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Need website help -- again -- no where else to turn.

Well you guys have all been so helpful in the past. I asked the question a few months ago how to make my site more apparent to Google/yahoo. I didn't know where to enter in the key words.

Well here's what happened. When I enter in my search criteria my "testimonials" page pops up on the 4th page... I thought that was weird. I then went through all of the 55 pages and my home page didn't show up on either one of them... any ideas.

Why would it show my testimonials page but not my main page?

If i paid google ads would it help?

steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

make sure your meta name and keyword are correct. this should be before your <body> between <head>"" ""</head>

should be something like this

<head>
<meta name="Description" content=" your information here" />
<meta name="keywords" content="your keywords here" />
any other code
</head>
<body>

if you need more information, just open any other page and click on View "Page source"
that will give an idea how to set up your keywords.
Note, google take some time to recognized your website. I recommend to do some links exchange with any other popular website. Like on my website, I have one page for "Affiliate" that where i put other website links for exchange and so on...

Hope this help you a little bit. and it will not be so easy to show your website on the first page of google.

thanks
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #3
Major Player

i'll take any help i can get... I'm using 1&1 website builder. I dont have to enter in html since it does it for me. This may be a problem.
I just wish i knew why the testimonial page comes up by my home page doesn't. I'm going to try viewing other's pages and entering in some HTML... Thanks
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
i'll take any help i can get... I'm using 1&1 website builder. I dont have to enter in html since it does it for me. This may be a problem.
I just wish i knew why the testimonial page comes up by my home page doesn't. I'm going to try viewing other's pages and entering in some HTML... Thanks
another thing you can do, open your index.html with a text editor, then you can add your html file there.
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You really have to research what's google's criteria. For example some search engines don't use meta tags. I've read that the best way is to have a link to your site from another site that's in google's database. Text on in the body of the page is also is important.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 04:33 AM   #6
New Boot

Google might index your main page and sub-pages in separate times. I think that Google hasn't discovered your homepage yet.
Meta tags aren't that important to Google, content is what really matters.
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmo Renter View Post
Google might index your main page and sub-pages in separate times. I think that Google hasn't discovered your homepage yet.
Meta tags aren't that important to Google, content is what really matters.
And what Yunisbel said about Google taking time to recognize your site.

I second this.

I know very little about websites. I bought Dreamweaver, and then promptly purchased "Dreamweaver for Dummies" and went from there.

I can't remember if the book said this or if I read it somewhere else, but it said to have Google-able keywords in you page text somewhere and eventually Google will discover it.

I figured, how many people are really Googling "weddings + videographers + rhode island." Those who were, we def wanted our page to show up...or if you entered our company name, and it didn't for a couple of months.

I made sure to put "RI," "videography," "wedding," etc. in text in our pages.

I also agree with Pete said about getting a link to your site on a page that Google recognizes.

When I Google "Rhode, weddings, videography," a few bridal resource sites come up. We ended up paying for advertising on those top 2 sites to get a listing and a link and a control panel to monitor stats of people viewing the listing and clicking through to our website and a link to our email, etc. I think this definitely expedited the process.

Pete may chime in with an easier, cheaper way than this, but this worked for us!

Good luck!
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 05:58 AM   #8
New Boot

Copy-paste from one previous topic:
Google's display rank algorithm considers many things.
For example, if you search for "wedding video" in google, it tries to show these pages on top which google thinks is the best match for your query considering the following:
- how many times the search phrase occurs in the page
- how important the phrase in HTML code is. Eg, is the phrase in header or in footnotes? Or even in the domain name?
- how high is your page's PageRank. PageRank expresses your page's reputation in google's eyes. The more high ranked pages link to you, the higher PageRank you get
- The more content,the better.
And so on :)

So you got to have more content containing "wedding" "video" and "rhode island".
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Trustee

look for and download Web CEO - it was free last time I looked and tells you how to improve your site for all search engines - it's great!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques