Wedding Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Trailer

Here is a trailer that I finished last week -

Joe Simon Productions- Cinematic HD & Vintage Super 8 Wedding Films for the Stylish Bride.: Keely & Kyle HD Wedding Trailer

I'm really excited about the way it came out and the look we achieved with everything. It was shot with the XHA1, time-lapses were done with the HVX-200. We also used the Brevis 35 adaptor and a Kessler 8 ft. crane.

Thanks for checking it out.
Joe Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Trustee

Joe
I really enjoyed your wedding clip, if only it was a bit longer, otherwise perfect!

Stelios
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Joe, great clip... I like the use of your crane... I've bought a 4ft jib a few months ago but have been afraid to break it out at a wedding. Did anyone give you any strange looks as if it might be "overkill"?
Anyways, great clip once again.
Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Joe,

Really slick. It felt a bit sterile to me, as if the setting, inanimate objects and techniques are taking center stage rather than the people, but I probably lean too far in the other direction and don't get enough of the surroundings and details that you excel at.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:17 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I always limit my trailers to 1 min, it's just a glimpse of the wedding.

Stephen - We normally use the crane early in the pre-ceremony before the guests arrive and for the reception before the guest are let into the hall. We do have it set up for dancing, and the guest always think it's awesome.

Joel - The trailers I do focus more on the day as a whole then interactions with the couple. I try to show some detail shots as well as shots of the couple. But yes, It's not focussed entirely on them. I like to really open up the story with the pre-ceremony and let it unfold through the entire edit.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Joe,

Very nice clip... I assume you filmed it using the A1s. Did you use any custom preset. Did you apply a lot of color corrections to the final clips? I really like the color and would appreciate if you could share some hints of how to achieve them.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Joe - nice work! I love the crane shots. I know how much work goes into the setup. I've had my jib about a year but only been able to use it once at a wedding- too much going on. Do you shoot solo? Also the closing clip looked like you were using a Glidetrack or something.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

This is really great work. I'm glad you included some dialogue; really adds to the emotion.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It allways amazes me how much effort you guys put in your productions, it's like a real movie production, I was just waiting for someone to shout "cut!" :)
You got a good eye for detail and great shots, with how many are you that day? I mean, 35mm adapter, crane, glidecam and I thought I saw some glidetrack action? That must be quite some preperation and set up for an event that's not controlled.

I relay liked the color, willing to share the preset? Or has it been done in post?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:14 PM   #10
Regular Crew

LOVE IT - great job! Loved that you were able to incorporate some jib shots - it added a great angle (pun intended) to the piece!
Old November 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Inner Circle

That was great! Perfect length, great shots, great grading. To me the only weak spot was the titling at the very end. I think a drop shadow might have helped. It was a bit hard to read.

I have to ask how you handle the jib. Do you use it yourself or pay someone else to do it? I shoot with myself and a 2nd shooter, but my 2nd shooter's never have the type of experience and skills to use something like a crane or a steadicam. Also, is the crane an add-on or something you just always bring?
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:43 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments guys.

The color-correction on this trailer was done with Magic Bullet Looks. It's a great program for post work. My settings on the A1 are pretty flat I just crush the blacks to -2 and thats it. I really like to keep my footage flat so I have as much play as possible in post. The CC takes some time to do but I really love the look you can give the footage, it's really a night and day difference.

At the weddings where we use the crane and adaper( It comes with our second level package and is also an add-on) I have a 3 person crew including myself. I shoot with both the Brevis and the Glidecam, while my second shooter and assistant will get the crane shots early before the guests arrive. The crane is really simple to use, it's moving it around that takes the extra help. The Kessler crane is nice because it mounts to your tripod head, simple. The hard part is training your second shooter to get the right kind of shots! I've been lucky to have a guys that learn pretty quick!

After the crane shots I have the assistant follow me around and we trade cameras back and forth, one set up with the GlideCam and one with the Brevis. It works great so I can get the shot I need and not have to run back for a different camera setup.

There is a lot of setup and prep. work for days like this but I love the end result! We arrive at the venue 4 hours before the ceremony to get all of the shots we need. It's a lot of equipment to unload and set up but once you get a system going it's like clockwork.

The last shot was actually just a tripod pan, I don't have a Glidetrack(yet!) but they look awesome!

Thanks again for checking it out.

Joe
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:55 AM   #13
Trustee

Bravo Sir!

Very nicely done indeed.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Simon View Post
There is a lot of setup and prep. work for days like this but I love the end result! We arrive at the venue 4 hours before the ceremony to get all of the shots we need. It's a lot of equipment to unload and set up but once you get a system going it's like clockwork.
So are you covering bridal and groom preps? I'm curious because there's no way I could ever show up 4 hours before the ceremony. I usually start filming preps around 8 or 9 in the morning, then that transitions into the photoshoot time, and usually I get about 30 minutes to set up for the ceremony.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Joe, Joe, Joe!!! i really like your video. You did a great job of incorporating the emotion, the movements with the style of music and the couple. And the colour grading wasn't over the top.

My favorite parts were the crane shot you did in front of the stair case, very elegant. I don't know what type of lighting you had in the brides room but was it ever nice and soft, made it look very movie like. And lastly the tilt and zoom shot you pulled in the groom's room was top notch, I don't know why but it just makes the whole shot in this scene.

So that being said, i do have a few questions i hope you wont mind answering for me.

1) What type of microphone did you use in the bride's room, cause it was crystal clear. ( I'm assuming a good shotgun mic)
2) The shot in the groom's room, did you simply do it with a fluid tripod head or did you use a steady cam type of rig?
3) Which Magic Bullet preset did you use throughout this trailer?

Job well done and i must say that this clip falls into one of my all time favorite, Congrats Joe.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques