How to end? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1
New Boot

How to end?

Just finishing up a wedding edit and the gears are turning-how do you end your wedding videos? In the film world, the story finds some resolution and can fade to black, but in the wedding world there isn't any sort of closing element other than the couple driving away. Any thoughts?
Mike Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I usually do a highlight video. But aside from that, you could put on some music overlay when they are getting in the car. Time it up so that the music ends when you fade to black. That creates resolution.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Grant View Post
but in the wedding world there isn't any sort of closing element other than the couple driving away. Any thoughts?
Boy, you stay until the bitter end!

We usually leave around midnight when the reception is still going strong, so I get them to give each other a kiss and wave bye bye to me while they are dancing (or something like that). Make a nice ending shot.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike - I like to do a reprise of the day for the final minute of the vid. Lots of short cuts and a strong closing shot (like a kiss). Find a good song that brings it home.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I usually end with credits and a background song (outakes in a small box). I finish the duration of the song with highlights and photos. I get a good response from doing that.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #6
Major Player

So far I've been able to stay until the couple leaves, so when they're about ready to make their way out, I start off 'Send me on my way' by Rusted Root (or another song that works). After they drive off and I do the 'fade to black,' I show the exterior of the church with a title of the church name and city... do the same for the reception area and then the 'wedding party' credits.
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #7
Major Player

totally depends on what happens on the day.

Had one couple where the bride went to recording studio for her hen party and they played the CD, The bride and her brides maids all got up and sang in a circle. Jumped in with the glidecam right in the middle. Nice ending.

Another one I had a little chat with the couple at the end of the night and left the cam running. The groom said something nice about it being the best day of his life. Put that at the end but he was a little bit wasted and it didnt quite work. So took out the vid and just had a quote on the end credits with his words. Worked better.

just whatever works in their story.
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Major Player

I agree it depends on what you agreed too and what is happening, but usually I like to show the reception through a door or some kind of entrance way and then slowly fade to a closing graphic or black. Kind of the feeling that you went, you saw, you enjoyed, you left.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #9
Regular Crew

We usually like to book-end our films by doing a brief re-cap of some of the best shots, including ones that we save for the end that haven't been shown before (to end it with more impact). For me, you can't end it on the dancing footage b/c it just doesn't feel like it has the right resolution to the film.

The best way to end the film if you're asked to stay to the end (which we rarely are) is to follow the bride and groom out and don't do a recap since you rarely see "recaps" in Hollywood films...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques