Do you zoom in on bride in doorway? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Do you zoom in on bride in doorway?

Do you stay wide or zoom in on bride in the doorway? I do both, and cannot decide which is best. With backlight, zooming is obviously out. But other than that is there a classic style or "best" way?

I'm talking about a camera that is shooting from in front of the altar, BTW.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

personally, I zoom... BUT the shot's a tough one, and I don't always nail it - slo mo time...

I like to get reasonably tight shots of the processional and the bride, but since it always means pans and zoom as the "target" is in motion from the back to the front, it's a bugger, and NOT something my locked down tripod cams will cover...

Backlighting can be good or bad if you hit it right... again, sometimes it's "genius", other times it's "DOH!"
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

I use static cams for behind and/or in-front shots of the bride at that moment and am personally getting close-ups of the groom. If I used a second shooter that would be theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Do you stay wide or zoom in on bride in the doorway? I do both, and cannot decide which is best. With backlight, zooming is obviously out. But other than that is there a classic style or "best" way?

I'm talking about a camera that is shooting from in front of the altar, BTW.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Depends on the distance for me. If the aisle is really short, then I'd probably zoom and go for a medium headshot. If longer, then probably a nice wide shot showing the entrance. If really long, then I'd probably zoom in a bit to get a better-looking wide shot.
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I zoom in for a medium shot when she first comes through the door and then zoom it out and let her come to into the frame. Too much zooming in/out is a nightmare.
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Bruce,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson View Post
I zoom in for a medium shot when she first comes through the door and then zoom it out and let her come to into the frame. Too much zooming in/out is a nightmare.
I remember seeing one of your highlights/trailers that had what was essentially a reveal of the bride coming down the aisle. It looked like you were halfway down the aisle and came out from the right and tracked left. I've thought about that shot and the impact it had but can't figure out how to get a traditional two-up shot of the bride and her dad too. Do you have any recollection of the shot I'm thinking of?
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hey Bruce,

I remember seeing one of your highlights/trailers that had what was essentially a reveal of the bride coming down the aisle. It looked like you were halfway down the aisle and came out from the right and tracked left. I've thought about that shot and the impact it had but can't figure out how to get a traditional two-up shot of the bride and her dad too. Do you have any recollection of the shot I'm thinking of?
It may have been this clip: Annie + Paulo's Same-Day-Edit: Sept 13, '08 on Vimeo or this one Karen + Chris' Same-Day-Edit: Aug 30, '08 on Vimeo

I have my 2nd shooter cover the walk down the aisle and then flip back intermittently to get the groom's reaction. I tell the photogs that I'll be creeping out of the woodwork when she's halfway down the aisle I follow her down. I guess it would help if you could narrow down which clip it was first! :) It definitely adds impact but it's hard to remember to get the groom's reaction all of the time - which is usually a great shot! A 3rd cam would solve that one, for sure!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques