Using monopod at weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 13th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Using monopod at weddings

I purchased a 561B monopod 6 months ago and I've used it once. I expected the three little feet at the bottom to provide more stability than than they do. I hate that it still moves around so much, as I am a freak for steady shots. I went back to using my tripod with the legs folded in when I need the room or to using my spider brace.

Can those of you who use this device tell me how you use it and when?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have two monopods and I basically stopped using them about 2 years ago. I just shoot handheld, tripod or steadicam now. I found that the monopods weren't as useful in creating a steady shot as I had hoped. In fact, I feel like I can get a better shot handheld in most situations than I could using the monopod. It might not make sense, but that's how it is for me.
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Jeff,

I'm lost without it.

EventDV.net: In the Field: Manfrotto 560B Monopod

I use it along with a glidecam for nearly everything except the ceremony. I do use it for the processional though. As for your experience with the stability that may be because of the way you hold and use it. By using the viewfinder rather than the lcd, removing the pan/tilt bar and holding it as you would an unsupported camera you can get rock solid shots even zoomed in while having complete command of the manual controls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I purchased a 561B monopod 6 months ago and I've used it once. I expected the three little feet at the bottom to provide more stability than than they do. I hate that it still moves around so much, as I am a freak for steady shots. I went back to using my tripod with the legs folded in when I need the room or to using my spider brace.

Can those of you who use this device tell me how you use it and when?
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #4
Major Player

I've got the manfrotto 561B awsome i added a tripod strap to it. I use it for church and speeches. Folds up in 10secs i put it on my shoulder and off i go

I can even balance the camera on it BUT i still have my hand around the monopod

there great.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #5
Major Player

561 Uses

Jeff,

I removed the head and put on my 503 head. With the extendable arm I can put the monopod well over my head and still have full tilt and pan control. I love it at the receptions, but I would not want to use it for anything that requires an extended steady shot. The first dance is about as long as I can keep the monopod steady. In addition, I can extend the monopod up to about 7ft and get great areal shots of the dance floor.
Just me two cents.

Jon Schwartz
CA Video Productions
Jonathan Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I too am a satisfied 561B monopod user. I use it during...

- bride/groom prep, when I'm usually in tight spaces
- the whole time before the ceremony, then up until after the bride comes in (on tripod for readings)
- back to monopod during rings, vows, etc. (back to tripod until end of ceremony)
- procession out of the church and everything following
- for the reception, I use it for the grand entrance, any dancing, cake cutting, and most especially for table-to-table toasting

I can't wait till I can afford a steadicam then I'll definitely be using a monopod much less.
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Jeff - after getting boxed out of too many critical shots on my tripod I started using a 561B. Not being able to adjust the tension on the legs though is definately a shortcoming. I use it for everything except when I'm on the Merlin. The mobility and the overhead extension for dance scenes are what I like best.

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Major Player

Jeff,

I use the 561B for short duration/high mobility shots. I used it recently at a wedding for getting candid shots during the reception, cake cutting... I don't usually shoot weddings, but I think it would be a benefit for the fast moving pieces. I would not use it for prolonged shots! If I'm going to plant for any time, I like to use a real tripod. I find that with the 561 I can't keep it totally still, but much better than handheld. Here's a clip using the 561B (everything past 0:59) and despite my best efforts you can see evidence of my movement using this pod:

Wind Through Atlanta on Vimeo

I couldn't have possibly used a tripod since I was walking through the park with the masses, often in a line.

IMO 561B is 80% as good as a tripod for shots less than 10 seconds
60% as good for shots 10 - 30 seconds
50% as good for shots over 30 seconds
100% better than handheld for stable shots over 10 seconds

Last edited by Roger Shealy; November 14th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Joel, holding the camera and foregoing the handle is genius. I have played with it that way and I love it.

I very much appreciate the feedback from everyone. I have a fun bridal shoot traveling around the city tomorrow with a couple and I'm taking the monopod. It will be perfect.

Roger, I had no idea, you are truly skilled as a shooter and editor. Fantastic footage. I am blown away by the camera. My FX1000 just shipped today, I hope it will come close to the quality of your Canon.
Old November 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM   #10
Major Player

Wow Jeff, I'm humbled. I've been reading your posts for some time and figured you were pretty much Spielberg's understudy! Thanks for the compliment. Let me know how that 1000 turns out.
Old November 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I had no idea I came across that way. That is embarrasing. If you saw my work you'd not be impressed, trust me! I'm slightly familiar with Vegas, I know my cameras somewhat, and I half know what I'm doing on a PC.

I tend to be assertive when I feel confident in my knowledge about a topic, and I try not to jump in when I don't know (at least not too often) so that may make me appear more than what I am! I guess during my many years in the entertainment and bar business I learned a thing or two about the art of BS and putting up a front.
Old November 14th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #12
Major Player

Sorry Jeff, I didn't mean to insinuate anything; bad humor on my part. You never came off as cocky, just someone who's been around the block a few times.

I took a look at your new camera on Amazon, it looks like a nice camera. Probably the biggest deficiency of my XHA1 is the LCD screen. Looks like your Sony will have a much larger screen, which is very positive.

Back to your monopod. If you haven't done so, take a look at the bottom joint and tighten the small Allen screws to make the lower joint as stiff as possible. I tightened mine until the head started rotating (no way to hold it). With time the joint has tightened a bit as the lubrication has aged; which I count as a good thing. It's still smooth, but not as featherweight as it was when I first put it into use.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Regular Crew

My 2nd shooter films with it all day. It has a 501/503 compatible head so they can go from monopod to tripod easily. I wouldn't have someone shoot for me without it.
Old November 14th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Inner Circle

That's encouraging Roger that it stiffens up a bit with age. I have been playing with it for a while and by using it without the handle, I really like it more and more.

I am really glad I can put it to use. I had considered selling it, but I certainly won't now. I'm really looking forward to the shoot tomorrow.
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:16 AM   #15
Major Player

I have to throw the Bogen 685B in the ring. We have been using one of these for years. You just squeeze the handle, step on the foot brace and raise it to the height you need it. I put the Bogen 501/503 adapter plate on it so that I can transfer it from the tripod quickly. The only problem we have had is that you need to keep an eye on the rubber foot as it can pop off when you least expect it.
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques