Wedding audio during ceremony - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:54 PM   #16
Tourist

I'm thinking about getting into wedding videography and I'm in the thinking/research phase right now. I'm a little confused about DVRs vs wireless mics. Do some of you only use one or the other to get audio? Or do you use a mix of the two?

Thanks for your help.
Rick Fulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I used to use wireless mics and I switched to DVR's a few years ago. I now use only DVR's. You can't monitor the audio during the ceremony, but I haven't had the need to since they haven't ever cut out. Besides, if you're monitoring wireless mics during the ceremony and one of them starts cutting in and out what are you going to do to fix it? You can't stop the ceremony. Just my thoughts.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:22 AM   #18
Major Player

I run my cameras and sound pretty much as Don describes, probably got the idea from him a few years ago when I was starting out.

I started with a couple of low end Azden wireless units with lavs, a shotgun and a Mini disc recorder (NV707 ?) Upgraded my main wireless for the groom last year and will probably upgrade another this year. The mini recorder is a real lifesaver at times. Mics go on the groom, lecturn, one for the music and my shotgun catches background. In a few venues I've had excellent results with one on the groom, lecturn and simply use the stereo mic on one of my cameras.

I run Sony 80min tapes during the ceremony because I'm paranoid.

I had two instances where my low end Azdens interfered with the venue. The first time it created a horrible warbling noise. The second time I turned of my transmitter and simply captured from theirs. I always, always run sound/mic checks before the ceremony. The two times I had problems were because someone changed their setup after the sound check. (You know, like they do with the lighting)
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #19
Major Player

2 questions for u guys.

#1- seems to me that if u just mic the groom, the bride will be way off mic and down in level unless they're facing one another.

#2- How or where do u place the H2 zoom if your trying to mic the principles? You can't bury it right?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 10:25 PM   #20
Inner Circle

in almost every wedding I've ever done the B&G face each other so mic'ing the groom is the way to go. For the ones where they don't face each other (certain religious ceremonies) a decent mic properly placed will get the audio although the levels might be a bit lower it is still very workable. There really is no other solution unless you mic the bride and having done that once (she was in broadcast TV and demanded it) it is really not something I care to do again for a number of reasons. Believe me, whethter its wireless or recorder with properly a properly placed mic you'll be good to go.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques