ads thru another website at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ads thru another website

Hello again everybody,

I found a couple of website for vendors to advertise for free but when customer request a quote thru them you have to pay like $1 or $2 dollar per customer information. I have the links for them, but I know posting links here is not allow.

is any of you guys use this type of website, and if you do. Do you got any luck with them.

Thanks
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #2
Trustee

I have used Decidio and a few of the others. I have not had ONE.... not even one pan out. Partly because I've never had a quote for anything over $1k for videography. I have 3 quote requests for $500 weddings in my inbox right now. Each one will cost me $1 to get he contact details.

I'm seriously considering changing my business model from reaching for the higher end clients, to saying screw it and just getting the $500, no edit, no cinematic qualities, just good solid coverage of the wedding and reception with quality equipment.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM   #3
Inner Circle

With the economy in the crapper or heading there rapidly, "will work for food" is probably a good business model...

Sure doing "high end" artistic stuff is great, but a bread and butter approach may be a necessary evil. I've rethunk and redirected towards a model that can adapt to virtually whatever (reasonable) price the market can bear. We may be facing a deflationary economy for a while, and I'd rather be able to work than hold out for "top dollar".

There will always be high end work in some areas, but realistically, many, many areas have suffered such severe economic dislocation that re-evaluating EVERY business model is probably on the table...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Words of Wisdom......
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi All
My listings in wedding directories are either free or cost me a flat rate of $100 a year. Regardless of the number of views or clickthrus no futher charges are ever levied which is how it should be!!

Here we also have a "service seeking" site that notifies you when clients are looking for a contractor. You register for free and the clients also can post their requirements for free. However, to actually quote on the job costs you 5, 10 or 15 "credits" You are forced to buy "credits" from the site ($50 for 50 credits) I have been ignoring their offers up to now because not one job has a venue date!! They are supposedly rectifying this. I was wondering if anyone else has this sort of system in use or is it just throwing away your money on "quotes"...it's pretty hard to quote on a wedding gig from limited information and as far as I am concerned, someone could easily misread the info and quote way lower than you!!!

Yes, my major work is in the budget type of wedding at present..a photographer friend said raise your prices!!! However I have regular work and he hasn't shot a wedding since May!! You have to bend with the times especially if it's your living!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Major Player

I think the effectiveness of these types of service is directly related to your pricing and marketing strategy. It won't work for the high end. This type of client just doesn't ask for bids, go for a known commodity, or a recommended vendor. I know that my best clients have always been the ones who were referred to me. They are already sold on my offerings, it's only a matter of making it fit into their budget.

If you can cultivate your relationships with other professional vendors who suit your level of quality, taste and style, you're much better off than getting into a bidding war for a passive client who doesn't care enough to research her vendors.

As for lowering your prices...try your best not to fall for that temptation. Once you get known as a low-end vendor it's nearly impossible to climb back up. I can understand that you need to put food on the table, so do what you feel you need...but don't be in a rush to become the cheapest in your area.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 12:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Actually dual branding is a clever way to handle both high end and budget shoots.

You can have your high end production company with it's own website and then always refer those looking for a low cost wedding to your "sister" company and website that will cater for brides on a budget.

There is a very good video about dual branding on the dvinfo website in the video section. Cleverly done and well worth a watch!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Trustee

In my experience the principal problem of dual branding is that your promo material has to reflect the market's expectations; in other words a budget product is perceived as not really budget if your promo material is gold plated. Equally, the high end market will not respond to overtly inexpensive material.

It's probably possible to do both but I think I'd lose less hair and sleep sticking to one target market.

FWIW I think most products/sectors agree that in tough times the higher end markets are more resilient. It's the budget markets that take the hammer.

Which is a pity in a way because if you want to move your sights from the budget end to the more prestige end it means higher outlays just when you don't need them
Philip Howells is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques