Web Sites? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 8th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Web Sites?

I know many photographers use BluDomain, is there anything similar that has prebuilt templates for video companies?

Do you design your own sites? Hire a designer? Use another template based system?

Thanks,

Marion
Old December 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Trustee

I don't design my own, but part of my business is implementing open source CMS packages for clients, so that is what I use for mine. No CSS skills needed. I may eventually buy a template for my CMS so that I can get rid of the "designed by" references. But the CMS model is insanely flexible (though it lacks ALL of the flashy artistic flair of StillMotion or even some of the other companies here in my city).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Major Player

I use Wordpress and its template system @ Simple Thought Productions

I have been trying to get better at template coding by modifying the theme I use and hope to eventually write my own. If you are good at the graphics side and CSS you can make a wordpress (and most other blogs/cms) look like anything you want. When talking to theme authors the most common thing I realize is that most people do want their blog to look like a blog so they stick to the same overall formula. Or you can always commision a custom theme for exactly what you want :)
Old December 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Major Player

I use Wordpress via my Yahoo web hosting package. I built 90% on my on with limited skills then hired a Wordpress expert I found on Craigslist to do the fine tuning.

Art

vargaproductions.com
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #5
Major Player

I've just taught myself Dreamweaver and CSS style sheets (basics) to build my own website. It's quite satisfying doing it on your own but, unless you're a really quick learner, it might take you a few weeks to get the hang of. That's how long it has taken me anyway. If you wish to learn Dreamweaver, I highly suggest the tutorials at lynda.com.
Peter Dunphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Like Peter, I decided one day that I would put the time in myself and design my own website using Dreamweaver. Cheaper than getting a web designer in, and def. feels more satisfying than relying on a template

plus i can adapt the header graphic now it's xmas: FX Films - Professional Wedding & Corporate Videos (Surrey, Hampshire, Middlesex, London) :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM   #7
Major Player

You might take a look at this: Showit Sites - Powerfully Simple Website Creation Photographer David Jay develped this.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
You might take a look at this: Showit Sites - Powerfully Simple Website Creation Photographer David Jay develped this.
Ouch. $25 / month? I'll get you a site and hosting on my server for 1/2 that (of course it wouldn't be a fancy flash site).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
Like Peter, I decided one day that I would put the time in myself and design my own website using Dreamweaver. Cheaper than getting a web designer in, and def. feels more satisfying than relying on a template

plus i can adapt the header graphic now it's xmas: FX Films - Professional Wedding & Corporate Videos (Surrey, Hampshire, Middlesex, London) :)
We did the same thing, + "Dreamweaver for Dummies."

I LOVE the frost and the Santa hat, though! Very cute! I wish I possessed your mad skillz ;)
Miraj A. Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Marion,

We adapted a BluDomain site for the videography business. We asked a good photography friend for some great pics and purchased the add-on video portion for the site.

Its worked flawlessly for us.
Brian Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion Abrams View Post
I know many photographers use BluDomain, is there anything similar that has prebuilt templates for video companies?

Do you design your own sites? Hire a designer? Use another template based system?

Thanks,

Marion
I know a lot of photographers use this site and I understand they now do video, beyond that I haven't checked it out.

SmugMug Photo Sharing. Your photos look better here.
Curtis Edwards is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques